After California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) survived the Republican-led effort to remove him from office, recall candidate Larry Elder conceded on Tuesday night but told his supporters to "stay tuned," AP reports.
Why it matters: Elder's concession speech suggested that the recall campaign may not be his last, potentially setting up another race between the two men in 2022 when Newsom faces reelection.
Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free
What they're saying: Elder, a 69-year-old radio host, told his supporters that "we may have lost the battle, but we are going to win the war," according to AP.
"I can't think of anything that this man has done in the last two years that suggests he deserves another day in office," Elder said, referring to Newsom.
Elder last week declined to say if he would challenge Newsom again in 2022.
The big picture: Newsom received more than 5.8 million votes ( 63.9%) against the recall with all precincts reporting, per state figures.
Elder performed ahead of the other candidates who had hoped to replace Newsom if the recall succeeded.
Go deeper: "Big Lie" hits California recall election