Putin claims 150,000 Russian conscripts already sent to Ukraine, additional recruitment "makes no sense"




  • In World
  • 2022-12-07 14:46:49Z
  • By Ukrayinska Pravda
 

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that there was no point in additional draft in Russia, as allegedly 150,000 Russian conscripts have been sent to Ukraine.

Source: Kremlin-aligned news outlet RIA Novosti, quoting Putin

Quote from Putin: "As for possible conscription, and rumours about it. Look, out of 300,000 draftees, 150,000 are in the area of the special military operation [as Russia calls the war against Ukraine - ed.]. Thus, half of them have been deployed. Out of these 150,000, 75,000 are directly in combat units. Others are on the second or third lines, operating as territorial defence troops, or undergoing additional training."

Details: According to Putin, the remaining 150,000 draftees are still at training grounds and defence training centres, where they "undergo additional training."

Quote from Putin: "Taking into account these circumstances, talk about any additional conscription measures does not make any sense and there is no need [for these measures - ed.] for the state and the Ministry of Defence at this time."

Background:

  • On 4 November, Putin announced that the number of servicemen conscripted recently in the Russian Federation had reached 318,000 people, despite the previously announced limit of 300,000.

  • On 28 October, Sergei Shoigu, the Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation, reported that 82,000 conscripts had been sent to Ukraine.

  • On 21 September, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a "partial mobilisation" in Russia. Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said that 300,000 servicemen would be conscripted.

  • The media found out that Russia plans to draft 1.2 million people into its army as part of the conscription. Kremlin officials denied this information.

  • In late October, Putin declared that "partial mobilisation" was over. However, according to the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Russia continues enlistment covertly, despite official statements about its completion.

  • On 1 November, Putin's press secretary Dmitriy Peskov announced that 300,000 people had already been conscripted.

Journalists fight on their own frontline. Support Ukrainska Pravda or become our patron!

COMMENTS

More Related News

Former US Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Putin believes it
Former US Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Putin believes it's his 'destiny' to 'recreate the Russian Empire'
  • World
  • 2023-01-29 21:11:17Z

"He is obsessed with retaking Ukraine," former Secretary Gates said of Putin, who launched the war in Ukraine last February. "He will hang in there."

Merkel
Merkel's long-time advisor supports provision of fighter jets to Ukraine
  • World
  • 2023-01-29 16:49:13Z

Christoph Heusgen, former advisor to Angela Merkel on foreign policy and current chairman of the Munich Security Conference, supports the provision of...

Mali defends Russian ties and opposes options for UN force
Mali defends Russian ties and opposes options for UN force
  • World
  • 2023-01-29 16:12:22Z

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Mali's foreign minister defended the military government's cooperation with Russia on Friday and rejected three options […] The post...

Russia was making big plans for Ukraine
Russia was making big plans for Ukraine's nuclear power plants before its invasion fell apart

Russia wanted to use Ukraine's nuclear power plants to bring Ukrainian officials to heel and to keep Europe from intervening.

Russia alleges Ukraine war crimes; friends mourn volunteer
Russia alleges Ukraine war crimes; friends mourn volunteer
  • US
  • 2023-01-29 13:21:04Z

Friends and volunteers gathered Sunday at Kyiv's St Sophia's Cathedral to say goodbye to Andrew Bagshaw, a New Zealand scientist who was killed in Ukraine...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World