Missing daughter reunited with family after 51 years

  • In Business
  • 2022-11-29 15:43:35Z
  • By BBC

A DNA test has reunited a Texas woman with her long-lost family and ended a mystery that lasted over 50 years.

Melissa Highsmith, 53, was abducted by a babysitter from her home in Fort Worth in 1971 when she was just 22 months old.

Years of searching by the family yielded nothing - until DNA samples sent to an ancestry website produced a match.

Long known as "Melanie", Ms Highsmith now plans to change back her name.

The mystery over the fate of Ms Highsmith began in August 1971, when her mother, Alta Apatenco, hired a babysitter through an ad in a local newspaper.

The babysitter, suspected of kidnapping the baby, promised to take care of her at her home,

She then vanished with the baby, sparking a decades-long hunt by the Highsmith family, police and federal authorities. As recently as September, the family was following up a tip that Ms Highsmith had been spotted in South Carolina.

As the search went on year after year, Ms Highsmith - who went by the name Melanie Walden - was unaware that anyone was looking for her. Initially, she thought the family's efforts to contact her through Facebook were a scam.

A breakthrough in the case finally came on 6 November, when a DNA test on ancestry website 23AndMe connected Mrs Highsmith's children with the family, with the help of an amateur genealogist that helped them understand the results.

"Our finding Melissa was purely because of DNA," the family wrote in a Facebook post. "Not because of any police or FBI involvement, podcast involvement, or even our family's own private investigations or speculations."

Ms Highsmith and her parents met for the first time on 26 November. In the Facebook post, the family said that they conducted "further official and legal DNA testing" and are awaiting "official confirmation for the naysayers in this world".

"It's overwhelming," Ms Highsmith told BBC's US partner CBS. "But at the same time, it's the most wonderful feeling in the world."

Ms Apatenco, Ms Highsmith's biological mother, said she "just couldn't believe" that the family had been reunited after so many years.

"I thought I'd never see her again," she added.

No information has been given about the kidnapper. According to Ms Highsmith, when confronted, the woman who raised her - with whom she has been estranged for decades - admitted to knowing that she was the kidnapped child.

"That just made it real," Ms Highsmith said.

While the statute of limitations in the kidnapping has long passed, the Fort Worth Police Department said in a statement that it will continue the investigation into the disappearance to piece together what happened.

In the meantime, the family says they are making up for lost time and getting to know one another.

Ms Highsmith's sisters told the Washington Post, for example, that she plans to redo her wedding to her current husband so that her biological father can walk her down the aisle.

She also plans to change her name back from Melanie to Melissa.

"My heart right now is just full and bursting with just much emotion," she told CBS. "I'm just really, really happy."


More Related News

A year later, Felix DeJesus
A year later, Felix DeJesus' family feels no closer to finding the missing Haledon man
  • US
  • 2023-02-02 09:26:14Z

A year after Felix DeJesus went missing, the Haledon man's family is still searching for answers.

New details in Daub family murder-suicide:
New details in Daub family murder-suicide: 'It's horrible, honestly,' says police chief
  • US
  • 2023-02-01 15:42:18Z

Police continue to investigate the murder-suicide that took the lives of three members of the Daub family in West Manchester Township.

'The baby's not breathing:' 911 calls show panic as family tries to save Ky'air Thomas
  • US
  • 2023-02-01 00:45:19Z

The family of Ky'air Thomas made several calls begging for medics to save the six-month-old twin who was recently rescued from an abduction attempt

'They traumatized her without any reason.' Kansas girl, 3, sent to live with new family

"You could hear her crying down the hall," Nicole DeHaven said. "They had to hold her back. She kept saying, 'I want to go home. I want to go home.'"

Pedestrian injured in fall from Fort Worth I-30 bridge; police investigating
Pedestrian injured in fall from Fort Worth I-30 bridge; police investigating
  • US
  • 2023-01-31 23:42:35Z

Fort Worth police were dispatched to a ramp near I-30 and U.S. 287, responding to a caller who said a pedestrian "appeared to be deceased."

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply


Top News: Business