Judge will consider ending restrictions for John Hinckley




  • In US
  • 2021-09-27 05:00:28Z
  • By Associated Press

Lawyers are scheduled to meet in federal court on Monday to discuss whether John Hinckley Jr., the man who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, should be freed from court-imposed restrictions ranging from how his medical care is overseen to keeping officials updated on what his computer passwords are.

Hinckley, 66, moved to Williamsburg, Virginia, from a Washington hospital in 2016. Since then, the court-imposed conditions have included doctors and therapists overseeing his psychiatric medication and deciding how often he attends individual and group therapy sessions. Hinckley also can't have a gun. And he can't contact Reagan's children, other victims or their families or actress Jodie Foster - with whom he was obsessed with at the time of the 1981 shooting.

A status conference is scheduled for Monday before U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman in Washington.

Hinckley's attorney, Barry Levine, said last month that he should get what's called "unconditional release" because he no longer poses a threat. A 2020 "violence risk assessment" conducted on behalf of Washington's Department of Behavioral Health said Hinckley would not pose a danger.

The U.S. government had opposed ending restrictions in a May court filing. It also retained an expert to examine Hinckley and determine "whether or not he would pose a danger to himself or others if unconditionally released." Findings from such an examination have not been filed in court.

Hinckley was 25 when he shot and wounded the 40th U.S. president outside a Washington hotel. The shooting paralyzed Reagan press secretary James Brady, who died in 2014. It also injured Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and Washington police officer Thomas Delahanty.

Hinckley was suffering from acute psychosis. When jurors found him not guilty by reason of insanity, they said he needed treatment and not a lifetime in confinement.

COMMENTS

More Related News

FACT FOCUS: Media not banned from Ghislaine Maxwell trial
FACT FOCUS: Media not banned from Ghislaine Maxwell trial
  • US
  • 2021-11-29 23:40:30Z

As the sex trafficking trial of Jeffrey Epstein's former girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell, began on Monday, social media users were spreading false claims that ...

Federal court blocks Biden
Federal court blocks Biden's vaccine mandate for health workers in 10 states

A federal court in Missouri has blocked the Biden administration from enforcing a coronavirus vaccine mandate for health care workers at federally-funded...

Actor charged in riot almost talked way into staying in jail
Actor charged in riot almost talked way into staying in jail

An actor charged with storming the U.S. Capitol as a member of the far-right Oath Keepers militia group nearly talked his way into remaining in jail after a ...

S.Korea shelves plans to ease COVID measures due to high case count, Omicron
S.Korea shelves plans to ease COVID measures due to high case count, Omicron
  • US
  • 2021-11-29 08:40:38Z

South Korea said on Monday it has shelved plans to further relax COVID-19 curbs due to the strain on its healthcare system from rising hospitalisation and death rates as well as the threat posed by the new Omicron variant. President Moon Jae-in said the crisis had deepened and called for a united response to prevent the variant from entering the country including the mobilisation of more personnel and tightening contact tracing. "Numbers for new confirmed cases, severe cases and deaths are all on the rise and hospital bed capacity is tighter," Moon told a special COVID-19 response meeting.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US