Henry County man charged with attacking deputies files lawsuit




  • In US
  • 2022-11-29 14:28:02Z
  • By The Star Press
 

NEW CASTLE, Ind. - A Henry County man's account of a 2020 encounter with law enforcement officers is significantly different that recollections of the same events found in police reports.

Jackie Shane Brown, 51, of rural New Castle, is set to stand trial Feb. 21, in Henry Circuit Court 1, on nine charges stemming from the events of Oct. 25, 2020 - battery resulting in bodily injury to a public safety officer, intimidation, pointing a firearm, resisting law enforcement, battery, and two counts each of disarming a law enforcement officer and battery against a public safety official.

In affidavits, sheriff's deputies and a New Castle police officer said they were called to Brown's home, along East Henry County Road 150-N, after receiving a report he had pointed a handgun at and threatened to kill a hunter in the area.

When they arrived at his home, they reported, Brown at first refused to come outside, and then struggled with officers, in the process trying to grab two of the deputies' handguns

More:New Castle man faces nine charges after fracas with deputies

When the Henry County man continued to resist, one deputy reported, a police K-9 was brought in to help subdue Brown, while another deputy used an electronic stun device.

In a Henry Circuit Court 2 lawsuit filed in recent weeks, Brown contends he was the target of excessive force. He said he was first "tackled" by officers without warning, then repeatedly kicked and hit.

Brown also said he was not attacked and bitten by the police K-9 - on his face and legs - until after he had been placed in handcuffs.

The suit - filed by Indianapolis attorney M. Edward Krause III - alleges officers violated Brown's constitutional rights by entering his property, and breaking a driveway gate, without a warrant.

It asks that a jury determine damages in the case. Defendants in the suit include Henry County, the city of New Castle, three deputies and a New Castle police officer.

The defendants had not formally responded to the lawsuit as of Tuesday.

Douglas Walker is a news reporter at The Star Press. Contact him at 765-213-5851 or at dwalker@muncie.gannett.com.

This article originally appeared on Muncie Star Press: Henry man charged in fracas with deputies files excessive force suit

COMMENTS

More Related News

NAACP Memphis wants all involved in Tyre Nichols
NAACP Memphis wants all involved in Tyre Nichols' death to be terminated and prosecuted
  • US
  • 2023-01-30 00:11:05Z

The NAACP Memphis Branch is calling for law enforcement officers and first responders involved in Tyre Nichols' death to be terminated and prosecuted.

A Suspect In An Attempted Murder Is Active On Dating Apps To Seek Other Victims Or Accomplices While He
A Suspect In An Attempted Murder Is Active On Dating Apps To Seek Other Victims Or Accomplices While He's On The Run, Police Say
  • US
  • 2023-01-29 22:27:37Z

Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, has been on the run since he allegedly held a woman captive and beat her unconscious on Jan. 24.View Entire Post ›

Ga. man sentenced to 25 years in prison after Henry County gas station armed robbery
Ga. man sentenced to 25 years in prison after Henry County gas station armed robbery
  • US
  • 2023-01-29 20:26:09Z

A Georgia man will spend the next 25 years behind bars after deputies say he robbed a Henry County gas station at gunpoint.

Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters releases statement on death of Tyre Nichols
Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters releases statement on death of Tyre Nichols
  • US
  • 2023-01-29 01:29:49Z

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Sheriff T.K. Waters released a statement Saturday night on the death of Tyre Nichols.

Tennessee sheriff opens new investigation into two deputies after Tyre Nichols bodycam video release
Tennessee sheriff opens new investigation into two deputies after Tyre Nichols bodycam video release
  • US
  • 2023-01-28 05:50:45Z

Shelby County Sheriff Floyd Bonner, Jr. announced Friday evening that he has ordered an internal investigation, following the release of a bodycam video...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US