Ex-White House officials including 2 former chiefs of staff dispute Trump's claim he declassified docs found at Mar-a-Lago: 'Nothing approaching an order that foolish was ever given'




 
Former President Donald Trump.
Former President Donald Trump.  
  • Trump's newest defense for having "top secret" documents at his home is that they were "declassified."

  • 18 former top officials of Trump are saying this is "complete fiction," per a CNN exclusive.

  • John Kelly and Mick Mulvaney said they never heard of any standing order for declassification.

Former President Donald Trump is claiming that the documents found at Mar-a-Lago during the FBI search of his home on August 8 were "declassified." However, 18 of his former top officials say they believe this claim is "a complete fiction," according to a CNN exclusive.

Trump and his allies are arguing that he had a "standing order" so he could declassify documents he took from the White House after his four-year term as president.

Many of the officials who spoke to CNN did so under the guise of anonymity so they could speak candidly and avoid the potential backlash of Trump himself at a time when the Justice Department has publicly confirmed it's in the midst of an unprecedented federal criminal investigation of the former president.

But some of his former officials, including two White House chiefs of staff - John Kelly and Mick Mulvaney - told CNN Thursday that they "never heard of any such order" during their time working for the Trump administration.

"Nothing approaching an order that foolish was ever given," Kelly who served as chief of staff from 2017 to 2019 told CNN. "I can't imagine anyone that worked at the White House after me that would have simply shrugged their shoulders and allowed that order to go forward without dying in the ditch trying to stop it."

Mulvaney told CNN he was "not aware" of any standing order during his term as chief of staff.

CNN's Jamie Gangel, Elizabeth Stuart, and Jeremy Herb, reported that they spoke with a number of former national security and intelligence officials, whose combined tenures equate to the total length of Trump's time as commander in chief. Each officials they spoke with had some knowledge or would have been included in conversations about the declassification process.

John Bolton, a former national security adviser, to the president said "there was no standing order" and this is a "complete fiction."

"I was not briefed on anything like that when I started as national security advisor," Bolton said on CNN's "New Day" earlier this week. "I never heard of it, never saw it in operation, never knew anything about it."

An anonymous source familiar with the process of declassifying documents and White House records told the outlet this claim is "laughable" and if there was a standing order, it was "Trump's best kept secret." A number of sources CNN spoke with also laughed at the notion with one senior administration official calling it, "bullshit."

All 18 officials who spoke to CNN were in agreement that this is not how the declassification of documents is handled at the White House.

"There is a process to declassify, the president can't just wave a magic wand," a former senior Trump White House official said.

One source, who was familiar with how Trump operated, told CNN that the former president was under the impression he could declassify any documents at any time, but was "counseled that's not the way it works."

The FBI reportedly took 11 sets of classified documents, some of which were marked "top secret," from Trump's Palm Beach estate.

COMMENTS

More Related News

The DOJ believes Trump still may not have returned all White House documents after FBI already seized thousands of pages of material: report
The DOJ believes Trump still may not have returned all White House documents after FBI already seized thousands of pages of material: report

The FBI seized at least 11,000 pages of documents from Mar-a-Lago, along with material Donald Trump's team returned after the government's request.

Chuck Schumer Says
Chuck Schumer Says 'NOPEC' Bill Targeting OPEC Is on the Table
  • World
  • 2022-10-06 23:46:40Z

(Bloomberg) -- Legislation that would allow the US to sue OPEC nations is being considered as a possible response to the oil cartel's production cut this...

Biden to pardon thousands of people with federal marijuana convictions and encourage states to do the same
Biden to pardon thousands of people with federal marijuana convictions and encourage states to do the same

President Joe Biden, in a statement on Thursday, said "no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana."

Biden pardoning prior federal offenses of marijuana possession
Biden pardoning prior federal offenses of marijuana possession

President Biden said "no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana."

Biden to pardon everyone convicted on federal marijuana possession charges
Biden to pardon everyone convicted on federal marijuana possession charges

Biden says he'll ask governors to do the same. The announcement comes before elections that will decide whether Democrats keep control of Congress.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America