Authorities seek warrants related to NC substation shooting




 

CARTHAGE, N.C. (AP) - Law enforcement officials in North Carolina are applying for search warrants related to the weekend shooting of electric substations that caused widespread power outages in Moore County, authorities confirmed Thursday.

The FBI is seeking cell phone records that could indicate who was near the substations Saturday night, said an agency spokeswoman Shelley Lynch. Such search warrant applications "are a normal step in a law enforcement investigation," she added.

Richard Maness, chief deputy of the Moore County Sheriff's Office, told The News & Observer that detectives have requested court approval for several warrants. He declined to provide specifics or say whether they've been approved.

"But obviously with any criminal investigation like this that's an invaluable tool for law enforcement," he told the newspaper.

The outages began after one or more people drove up to two substations, breached the gates and opened fire on them, authorities have said.

The damage cut power to 45,000 customers as well as schools and a hospital. By Wednesday, Duke Energy said on its website that all of the equipment damaged in the attack had been fixed or replaced. The company said customers gradually got power back as it finished testing and restoration.

Police have not released a motive or said what kind of gun was used in the attack. But Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields told reporters Monday that whoever was responsible "knew exactly what they were doing to ... cause the outage that they did."

The state, county and Duke Energy are offering combined rewards of up to $75,000 total for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the attack.

"An attack on our critical infrastructure will not be tolerated," North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Wednesday.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Full list of 2023 NFL draft prospects invited to combine
Full list of 2023 NFL draft prospects invited to combine

Here is the full list of prospect invites for the 2023 NFL combine.

319 prospects invited to 2023 NFL scouting combine
319 prospects invited to 2023 NFL scouting combine

2023 NFL scouting combine: Full list of all 319 college prospects invited to Indianapolis.

Duke tops trio of ranked women
Duke tops trio of ranked women's teams in North Carolina

Duke's Kara Lawson and North Carolina's Courtney Banghart have spent their short tenures building programs back to national relevance. This always-competitive market looks tougher than usual with the Blue Devils' rising to No. 9, marking the second time since 2000 that all three have cracked the top 10 of the AP Top 25 in the same season. Each team appears headed for the NCAA Tournament with at least the chance to play their way to hosting opening-round games; the first glimpse of where teams stand will come Thursday with the NCAA's reveal of its preliminary top-16 seeds.

Police: Chief of staff for Lawrence mayor facing child pornography charges
Police: Chief of staff for Lawrence mayor facing child pornography charges
  • US
  • 2023-02-07 13:44:04Z

The chief of staff for the mayor of Lawrence was arrested Monday night on child pornography charges, law enforcement officials said.

Crews successfully release toxic chemicals from derailed Ohio train cars, authorities say
Crews successfully release toxic chemicals from derailed Ohio train cars, authorities say

The release of vinyl chloride came amid the threat of a possible major explosion from the wreckage of the train near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America