Authorities file search warrants in connection with Moore County power grid attack




  • In US
  • 2022-12-09 01:23:14Z
  • By WSOC
 

Authorities in Moore County have filed search warrants in connection with the attack on two Duke Energy electrical substations Saturday night that left about 45,000 customers without power for several days.

No suspects have been identified.

The FBI and Moore County filed search warrants to get cellphone tower data, the FBI told Channel 9. Search warrant applications are a normal step in a law enforcement investigation.

READ MORE:

  • Gun shop owner sleeps in store to ward off thieves during Moore County blackouts

  • Power grid attack: Duke Energy previously fined for security violations, report alleges

  • NC families seek shelter from cold amid power outages caused by substation attack

  • FBI investigating power grid attack in Moore County, sheriff says

  • UNC journalism student from Concord covers Moore County blackouts for NYT

One or more people broke into the substations through the gates and opened fire on them, cutting off power at about 7 p.m. Saturday, authorities said.

A motive has not been released in the attacks, but Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said that whoever was responsible "knew exactly what they were doing to ... cause the outage that they did."

The equipment was repaired and power was restored Wednesday. The state of emergency for the county ended at 5 a.m. Thursday.

Earlier in the week, Gov. Roy Cooper announced a reward of up to $75,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever is responsible for the attacks.

On Thursday, Duke Energy said it found no sign of property damage at a hydropower station in South Carolina where gunfire was reported nearby. Multiple federal agencies are monitoring the development.

At least four electrical substations have been targeted in separate attacks in Oregon and Washington since late November, Oregon Public Broadcasting and KUOW Public Radio reported Thursday. Attackers used firearms in at least some of the incidents, and some power customers in Oregon temporarily lost service.

VIDEO: Power restored: Moore County residents try to return to normal after substation attack

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


COMMENTS

More Related News

Ice storm death toll rises to 10; 400,000 without power; Northeast faces brutal wind chills: Live updates
Ice storm death toll rises to 10; 400,000 without power; Northeast faces brutal wind chills: Live updates

More than 400,000 homes and businesses were without power as a mix of ice, sleet and snow swamped the South. Live updates.

FBI To Probe George Santos
FBI To Probe George Santos' Alleged Involvement In Fundraising Scam Over Veteran's Dying Dog

The Republican congressman has denied the allegations and told ABC News he has "no recollection" of meeting the veteran.

FBI investigating Santos
FBI investigating Santos' alleged role in fundraiser for veteran's dying dog

A veteran has alleged that Santos helped him raise $3,000 for his dying dog through Santos' pet charity, but the veteran said he never got the money.

FBI search of Biden
FBI search of Biden's beach house found no classified documents, lawyer says

The FBI searched President Joe Biden's beach house outside Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, on Wednesday amid classified documents investigations.

FBI finds no classified papers in search of Biden
FBI finds no classified papers in search of Biden's Delaware beach home

Biden's lawyer says planned search has concluded with FBI taking some materials from his time as vice-president

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US