Another teen takes plea deal in East High killing, says he helped perpetrators




  • In US
  • 2022-10-04 19:46:49Z
  • By The Des Moines Register

A third teenager charged with murder in the drive-by shooting death of a 15-year-old boy outside East High School in March has agreed to plead guilty to lesser crimes.

The plea agreement a state court judge accepted Monday may allow Gumaro Marquez-Jacobo, 18, to avoid prison time for charges related to the March 7 death of 15-year-old Jose Lopez.

Marquez-Jacobo will plead guilty to being an accessory after the fact, providing a pistol to a person under 21, and being a person ineligible to carry a dangerous weapon. The charges together carry a penalty of up to four years in prison. But prosecutors agreed to recommend suspended sentences and fines and two years of probation, court documents said.

Police investigate a shooting shooting outside East High School in in Des Moines.
Police investigate a shooting shooting outside East High School in in Des Moines.  

Sentencing was set for May 30.

As part of the plea Marquez-Jacobo acknowledged he knew the March 7 shooting had occurred and that certain people had carried it out.

"I aided those persons by driving away from a secondary location with the intent to prevent their apprehension," he said in court documents.

The shooting was allegedly carried out by 10 teenagers aged 14 to 18, riding in three vehicles and using at least six guns from which they fired more than 42 bullets toward several youths standing near East High School, Des Moines police have said. Lopez died from gunshot wounds. His sister and one of her female friends were seriously injured.

More:East High shooting: One pleads guilty to murder, one to intimidation with a weapon

Court documents filed last week indicated that Manuel Buezo, 17, and Kevin Martinez, 16, also have agreed to plea deals.

Among the remaining defendants, one is scheduled to go to trial on Oct. 17 and three others on March 6. The remaining defendant charged as an adult has a trial date of April 10. Two other defendants aged 14 and 15 at the time of the shooting remain in juvenile court.

This article originally appeared on Des Moines Register: Plea deal reached for teen in East High shooting death of Jose Lopez

COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US