Yemen's southern separatists agree to Saudi call for ceasefire in Aden




  • In US
  • 2019-08-10 22:08:49Z
  • By Reuters

DUBAI, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Yemen's southern separatists agreed on Sunday to a Saudi-led coalition's calls for an immediate ceasefire in Aden, seat of the internationally recognised government, they said in a statement.

"The spokesman of the Southern Transitional Council (STC)confirmed its adherence to the ceasfire called for by the leadership of the Saudi-led coalition," the statement said. (Reporting by Tuqa Khalid; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

A year after Yemen
A year after Yemen's Hodeida truce, hopes for peace dim
  • World
  • 2019-12-13 01:46:05Z

Fighting between the government -- backed by a Saudi-led military coalition -- and Iran-backed Huthi rebels has subsided in western Hodeida province, but the slow implementation of the deal has quashed residents' hopes for an end to the conflict. The landmark agreement signed in Sweden on December 13 was hailed as Yemen's best chance so far to end the fighting that has pushed the country to the brink of famine. Hopes were high that a de-escalation in Hodeida, whose port serves as the country's lifeline, would allow desperately needed food and medical aid to reach millions in need.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US