Woods turns down Saudi event, backs Mickelson




Tiger Woods says he has turned down offers to play in the Saudi International event
Tiger Woods says he has turned down offers to play in the Saudi International event  

Miami (AFP) - Former world number one Tiger Woods said on Tuesday he had turned down offers to play in the Saudi International golf tournament, but defended the right of players to participate in the event.

Speaking on the eve of the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas, Woods said he had rejected approaches to play in Saudi Arabia despite appearance fees reportedly in the region of $3 million (2.7 million euros).

"I just don't want to go over there," Woods told ESPN. "It's a long way."

Golfers participating in the Saudi International faced criticism at the inaugural event last year, which took place just months after the killing of US-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.

ESPN reported Woods had first turned down an approach from organisers to play in the 2019 event prior to Khashoggi's murder, and rejected a second offer to play in the 2020 tournament, which takes place from January 30 to February 2.

Woods' comments came after Phil Mickelson became the latest golfer to confirm he would play the event next year.

Mickelson's decision means he will miss next year's Phoenix Open for the first time since 1990. The move prompted dismay on social media.

"You're better than taking the money grab from a corrupt regime," wrote one commenter on Twitter. "Come on, Phil."

Mickelson addressed the comment directly. "I'm excited to go play and see a place in the world I've never been," he wrote.

"I understand those who are upset or disappointed. You'll be ok. I'm excited to experience this for the first time."

Asked about the criticism of Mickelson's decision on Tuesday, Woods said he believed the tournament could help grow golf in Saudi Arabia.

"I understand the politics behind it," Woods said of the Mickelson criticism.

"But also the game of golf can help heal all of that too. There are a lot of top players playing that tournament.

"It's not a traditional golf hotbed but it has grown quite a bit.

"I remember going to Dubai for the first time and seeing two or three buildings on the skyline. Now it's a New York City skyline. The game of golf has grown.

"There used to be only a few courses now they're everywhere. Same with Abu Dhabi. And maybe eventually Saudi Arabia."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Palmer surges into lead, Tiger battles back at Torrey Pines
Palmer surges into lead, Tiger battles back at Torrey Pines

Ryan Palmer's birdie blitz vaulted him into a two-stroke lead while Tiger Woods recovered from a terrible start in the second round of the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines on Friday. The sizzling Palmer had 11 birdies with his only blemish being a bogey on his final hole to shoot a 10-under

The FBI reportedly stopped a Saudi plot to kidnap a YouTuber on US soil after he criticized Mohammed bin Salman for Jamal Khashoggi
The FBI reportedly stopped a Saudi plot to kidnap a YouTuber on US soil after he criticized Mohammed bin Salman for Jamal Khashoggi's killing

Abdulrahman Almutairi used social media to criticize the Saudi government. It appears to have almost cost him his life.

Regime Critic Says Saudis Tried to Kidnap Him on U.S. Soil
Regime Critic Says Saudis Tried to Kidnap Him on U.S. Soil
  • World
  • 2020-01-24 00:59:12Z

A suspected agent of the Saudi government attempted to kidnap a regime critic on American soil, according to the critic and multiple U.S. and foreign sources familiar with the episode. The young Saudi man says the FBI saved him from becoming the next Jamal Khashoggi.Abdulrahman Almutairi is a 27-year-old comedian and former student at the University of San Diego with a big social-media presence. After Almutairi used social media to criticize the powerful Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman over the October 2018 murder and dismemberment of Washington Post contributor Khashoggi, an unidentified Saudi man accompanied Almutairi's father on a flight to collect Almutairi against his will and bring...

Tiger opens with solid 69 at Torrey Pines
Tiger opens with solid 69 at Torrey Pines

Reigning Masters champion Tiger Woods, seeking an unprecedented 83rd career US PGA Tour victory, fired a three-under par 69 in Thursday's opening round of the Farmers Insurance Open, three adrift of Danish clubhouse leader Sebastian Cappelen. At the famed Torrey Pines tract where the 44-year-old American has previously captured eight titles, Woods closed with a five-foot birdie putt on the ninth hole of the San Diego layout's North Course, with golfers also competing on the harder-playing South Course. Sixth-ranked Woods matched US legend Sam Snead for the all-time US PGA title record on 82 by winning last October's Zozo Championship in Japan and this is his first opportunity to claim...

White House breaks silence on Jeff Bezos phone-hacking scandal, calls Saudi Arabia an
White House breaks silence on Jeff Bezos phone-hacking scandal, calls Saudi Arabia an 'important ally'

The White House weighed in on reports that Saudi Arabia hacked Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' phone, saying it takes the situation seriously.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Golf