Wisconsin Guard whistleblower says he's being discharged




  • In World/Asia
  • 2019-11-08 22:00:14Z
  • By Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin National Guard sergeant said Friday that his superiors have decided to discharge him from the service and deny him retirement benefits in retaliation for complaining about sexual misconduct in his unit.

Wisconsin Air National Guard Master Sgt. Jay Ellis' complaints about sexual assault and sexual harassment within the 115th Fighter Wing last year sparked two federal investigations.

"I just think it's funny how there is so much in the national news right now about whistleblowers, but no one seems to give two (expletives) about my situation," Ellis said in an email to The Associated Press.

Ellis sent a letter in November 2018 to Sen. Tammy Baldwin, a Wisconsin Democrat, saying he had learned of at least six instances of sexual harassment or sexual assault against female members of the fighter wing's security squadron.

The complaint led Baldwin to request a U.S. Air Force investigation . She and Gov. Tony Evers also requested federal National Guard officials conduct a top-to-bottom review of how the Wisconsin National Guard handles sexual assault allegations. Both probes are ongoing.

Ellis filed a separate complaint this past May with the Wisconsin National Guard's inspector general's office alleging that Guard officials transferred him out of his unit in January and had launched an in-depth review of his medical history to set up a medical discharge and deny him retirement benefits.

Ellis said in the complaint they prepared a memo for evaluators listing his medical issues even though the Guard has been aware of them since he joined 18 years ago. He added that his problems have long since been resolved and any restrictions on his physical training have been lifted but the security squadron's top commander still recommended he be discharged.

The Wisconsin Guard's top commander, Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, has ordered an investigation into the reprisal allegations.

But Ellis said he was informed Wednesday by a representative from a medical evaluation team out of Scott Air Force Base in Illinois that he will be discharged. He said he will appeal but without the support of his commanders his attorney has warned him his chances are "less than zero." If his appeals fail he'll be discharged some time in February, he said.

He said that he believes the decision was timed to render Dunbar's investigation moot.

Baldwin sent a letter Friday to Dunbar and Gen. Joseph Lengyel, chief of the National Guard Bureau in Washington, urging them to halt Ellis' discharge.

Ordering the discharge before the investigation into Ellis' reprisal allegations is complete is "unacceptable" and could have a chilling effect on the sexual assault investigation by discouraging witnesses from coming forward, the senator wrote.

"The pursuit of discharge after Sgt. Ellis filed a whistleblower complaint and while the (sexual assault investigation) is unresolved has the disturbing appearance of retaliation and retribution," Baldwin wrote.

Wisconsin National Guard spokesman Joe Trovato didn't immediately respond to an email seeking comment Friday. Thomas Doscher, a spokesman for Scott Air Force Base, had no immediate comment when reached by telephone but said he would try to gather what information he could about Ellis' situation.

Sexual assaults have been a problem in the U.S. military for years. In 2017 alone all four branches received a total of 5,684 reports from members who said they had been sexually assaulted during their service, up 10 percent from 2016. The Wisconsin National Guard received 52 reports of sexual assault between 2013 and 2017, with more than half related to military service.

___

Follow Todd Richmond on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/trichmond1

COMMENTS

More Related News

Lawmaker arrest spotlights UK Parliament
Lawmaker arrest spotlights UK Parliament's sex abuse problem
  • US
  • 2020-08-03 14:40:12Z

The weekend arrest of a British lawmaker accused of rape and the sexual assault conviction of a former legislator last week are increasing pressure on Britain's political leaders to confront a political culture that has often let abuse go unchecked. A Conservative Party lawmaker who has not been publicly named was arrested and interviewed over the weekend over rape and assault allegations made by a former parliamentary aide, U.K. media reported. London's Metropolitan Police said officers arrested a man in his 50s on Saturday on suspicion of rape and took him into custody at a London police station.

Conservative Party stands by decision not to suspend MP arrested over rape allegaton as criticism mounts
Conservative Party stands by decision not to suspend MP arrested over rape allegaton as criticism mounts
  • US
  • 2020-08-02 12:13:18Z

The Conservative Party is standing by its decision not to suspend a former minister who has been arrested and bailed after being accused by a woman of rape and sexual assault. The senior Conservative MP, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was taken into custody on Saturday morning shortly before the Metropolitan Police announced it had launched an investigation. The man, in his 50s, was placed in custody at a police station in East London but has now been released on bail to a date in mid-August. A Metropolitan Police Service statement said officers received allegations relating to "four separate incidents involving allegations of sexual offences and assault." The complaints were...

What
What 'defund the police' could mean for sexual assault survivors
  • US
  • 2020-08-02 08:30:16Z

Reclaimed police funds could be distributed to shelters, rape crisis centers, mental health services and programs to combat sexual violence, experts say.

Former Conservative minister arrested at home after woman accuses him of rape
Former Conservative minister arrested at home after woman accuses him of rape
  • US
  • 2020-08-01 21:52:04Z

A former minister was arrested at his home on Saturday after a woman accused him of rape and sexual assault. The senior Conservative MP, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was taken into custody in the morning shortly before the Metropolitan Police announced it had launched an investigation. The man, in his 50's, remained in custody at a police station in East London on Saturday night. A Metropolitan Police Service statement said officers received allegations relating to "four separate incidents involving allegations of sexual offences and assault." The complaints were lodged with the constabulary on Friday. While Scotland Yard did not name the man they said the alleged offences took...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Asia