Wimbledon will be canceled, says German tennis official - report




Wimbledon
Wimbledon  

(Reuters) - Wimbledon organizers will announce the cancellation of the grasscourt Grand Slam this week due to the coronavirus pandemic, German Tennis Federation (DTB) vice-president Dirk Hordorff has told Sky Sports.

All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) officials earlier said the June 29-July 12 event would not be played behind closed doors and postponement was not without significant risk and difficulty.

"Wimbledon has stated that they will have a board meeting next Wednesday and will make the final decision there," Hordorff told Sky Sports Germany.

"I am also involved in the bodies of the ATP and WTA. The necessary decisions have already been made there and Wimbledon will decide to cancel next Wednesday. There is no doubt about it. This is necessary in the current situation.

"It is completely unrealistic to imagine that with the travel restrictions that we currently have an international tennis tournament where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world would travel. That is unthinkable."

The AELTC did not respond to a request for comment.

The postponement of the Tokyo Olympics opened up a two-week window in the tennis calendar in July/August but it is less likely that it will be feasible for Wimbledon, which has only two covered courts and cannot be held past late summer.

French Open organizers stunned the tennis world by unilaterally postponing the claycourt Grand Slam at Roland Garros from May until late September because of the pandemic.

The French Tennis Federation (FFT) came under heavy fire from tennis players around the world at the lack of communication as the new dates clashed with several other events already featuring on the calendar.

The men's ATP Tour and the WTA, which runs women's tournaments, require their players to participate at the four Grand Slams, but the new French Open dates are yet to feature on the calendars of either association.

"The unilateral behavior of the organizers has been criticized by everyone and I can simply predict that the French Open will not be relocated as it was intended," Hordorff said.

He said either the FFT would go ahead with the new dates and feel the wrath of the entire tennis world or they have the option to start working with others to draw up a plan that makes sense for everyone.

"They will be deprived of the points and they will degenerate into a chaos event," he said.

"Even those there have understood that and they are slowly crawling back. Solidarity is the order of the day, it is a matter of being together and not going it alone, as the president of the French Tennis Association did."


(Writing by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; Editing by Robert Birsel)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Which clubs have toughest, easiest remaining PL schedule?
Which clubs have toughest, easiest remaining PL schedule?

Which clubs have the toughest and easiest remaining schedule in the 2019-20 Premier League season? This list breaks it down ahead of the June 17 restart.

AP PHOTOS: The French Open
AP PHOTOS: The French Open's athletes and their athleticism

The French Open is loved by so many for the scene and the setting and, yes, the surface, to be sure. What would it - or any other tennis tournament, any other sporting event - be without the athletes? The people and their personalities grab attention throughout the 15 days at Roland Garros, where the year's second Grand Slam tournament was supposed to be into Week 2 now.

The Latest: $300K in grants offered in wheelchair tennis
The Latest: $300K in grants offered in wheelchair tennis

The International Tennis Federation and four Grand Slam tournaments are pledging more than $300,000 in financial support for wheelchair athletes and national event hosts affected financially by the coronavirus pandemic. Wheelchair tennis players who earned under $100,000 in prize money last year and meet certain ranking requirements can apply for a grant under the program. More than 85 ITF-sanctioned wheelchair events have been postponed or canceled.

Tennis doubles free to return - but players must still observe social distancing
Tennis doubles free to return - but players must still observe social distancing

Tennis players can resume doubles with people from outside of their own household and share tennis balls as part of a further England-only easing of the lockdown restrictions. While the Welsh government is still not permitting any form of tennis and the Scottish government has only just allowed people from different households to play singles with individualised balls, the Lawn Tennis Association has further relaxed their guidelines for England. Under the new guidance, which was published on Sunday and will apply from Monday, both singles and doubles tennis is now permitted with people from outside of your household. The LTA say that two metre social distancing rules must still be applied...

US Open plan in works, including group flights, COVID tests
US Open plan in works, including group flights, COVID tests

Charter flights to ferry U.S. Open tennis players and limited entourages from Europe, South America and the Middle East to New York. All are among the scenarios being considered for the 2020 U.S. Open -- if it is held at all amid the coronavirus pandemic -- and described to The Associated Press by a high-ranking official at the Grand Slam tournament. "All of this is still fluid," Stacey Allaster, the U.S. Tennis Association's chief executive for professional tennis, said in a telephone interview Saturday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis