White House seeks $44 billion in hurricane aid from U.S. Congress




  • In US
  • 2017-11-17 18:28:47Z
  • By Reuters
FILE PHOTO: Cars drive under a partially collapsed utility pole, after the island was hit by Hurricane Maria in September, in Naguabo
FILE PHOTO: Cars drive under a partially collapsed utility pole, after the island was hit by Hurricane Maria in September, in Naguabo  

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Friday said it had asked Congress for $44 billion in supplemental disaster assistance to help those affected by the recent hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico, Texas, Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The request was far short of what some government officials have said is needed, with Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello asking for $94.4 billion to rebuild the U.S. territory's infrastructure. Texas was seeking $61 billion and Florida had asked for $27 billion.

"This request does not come close to what local officials say is needed," Democratic U.S. Representative Nita Lowey of New York, whose state has strong ties to Puerto Rico, said in a statement.

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said in a letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan that the $44 billion "does not represent the final request" for assistance for the victims, especially in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, where needs were still being assessed.

He said it takes 60 days to produce initial recovery cost estimates after a major hurricane and can take up to 90 days to prepare reliable estimates.

"At this time, the administration is requesting an additional fiscal year 2018 funding in the amount of $44 billion and the necessary authorities to address ongoing recovery efforts," Mulvaney said in the letter.

Ryan said in a statement that the House of Representatives would review the request and "work with the administration and members from affected states to help the victims get the resources they need to recover and rebuild."

Republican Senator Thad Cochran of Mississippi, which was also affected by a recent storm, called the supplemental request "one more step toward helping states and communities recover from the destruction."

However, Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the No. 2 Republican in the chamber, dismissed the latest request as s "wholly inadequate" for his state, the Dallas Morning News reported.

(Reporting by David Alexander, David Shepardson and Jeff Mason; Editing by Susan Heavey and Tom Brown)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Billy Graham went from tent revivals to the White House
Billy Graham went from tent revivals to the White House

MONTREAT, N.C. (AP) - As a young man, he practiced his sermons by preaching to the alligators and birds in the swamp. At his height years later, he was bringing the word of God into living rooms around the globe via TV and dispensing spiritual counsel - and political advice - to U.S. presidents.

Trump signals he
Trump signals he's open to mileage tax with praise of Oregon program

The White House on Wednesday praised an experimental program in Oregon that charges a mileage tax to volunteer drivers, adding to signals that President Donald Trump is open to finding new revenue sources to pay for his proposed infrastructure program. Many of Trump's fellow Republicans, however

Florida school massacre survivors push lawmakers for assault gun ban
Florida school massacre survivors push lawmakers for assault gun ban
  • US
  • 2018-02-21 15:47:27Z

By Zachary Fagenson and Roberta Rampton TALLAHASSEE, Fla./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Dozens of teenaged survivors of the second deadliest public school shooting in U.S. history marched on Florida's capital on Wednesday to ask lawmakers to ban sales of assault rifles of the sort used to kill 17 students and educators last week. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, became the latest school targeted by a gunman using a semi-automatic AR-15 assault rifle, heated up the nation's long-running debate about gun rights and public safety. Dressed in jeans and T-shirts and carrying signs with the slogan "#Neveragain," survivors of the Feb. 14 mass shooting met with lawmakers in...

Kushner Doesn't Want To Give Up His Security Clearance As John Kelly Cracks Down: Report
Kushner Doesn't Want To Give Up His Security Clearance As John Kelly Cracks Down: Report

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner doesn't want to give up the interim security clearance that gives him access to highly classified information, even though his current duties likely don't require him to view top-secret material, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

Trump backs effort to improve gun background checks: White House
Trump backs effort to improve gun background checks: White House
  • US
  • 2018-02-19 18:10:15Z

The White House said on Monday that President Donald Trump supports efforts to improve federal background checks for gun purchases, days after a shooting at a Florida school killed 17 people. Trump spoke to Senator John Cornyn, a Republican, on Friday about a bi-partisan bill that he and Democratic Senator Chris Murphy introduced to improve federal compliance with criminal background checks, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.