We'll soon have records of who Trump has been meeting with at his Mar-a-Lago resort




 

(Donald Trump.Elsa/Getty Images)
An ethics watchdog group won a lawsuit to obtain records of who has visited President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort since he became president.

The left-leaning group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington announced Monday that the Department of Homeland Security would turn over visitor logs to the group as a part of an April lawsuit. CREW said it would receive the logs by September 8 and then publicly release them.

"The public deserves to know who is coming to meet with the president and his staff," CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder said in a statement. "We are glad that as a result of this case, this information will become public for meetings at his his personal residences - but it needs to be public for meetings at the White House as well."

The order to release the visitor logs is a result of a lawsuit filed in April by CREW, the National Security Archive, and the Knight Foundation's First Amendment Institute at Columbia University against the Department of Homeland Security, the federal agency containing the Secret Service, the government entity that maintains the logs. The organizations sought the release of visitor logs from the White House, Trump Tower, and Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

Shortly after CREW filed its lawsuit, the Trump administration announced it would not release the White House visitor logs.

CREW, which in 2009 settled lawsuits with the Obama administration to have White House visitor logs released, said in April that "it looks like we'll see them in court."

"It's disappointing that the man who promised to 'drain the swamp' just took a massive step away from transparency by refusing to release the White House visitor logs that the American people have grown accustomed to accessing over the last six years and that provide indispensable information about who is seeking to influence the president," Bookbinder said in an April statement.

"The Obama administration agreed to release the visitor logs in response to our lawsuits, and despite the Trump administration's worry over 'grave national security risks and concerns,' only positives for the American people came out of them."

NOW WATCH: ABC calls out Kellyanne Conway over Trump Jr.'s meeting with a Russian lawyer after previously denying any contact with Russians

COMMENTS

More Related News

Notorious gang
Notorious gang 'behead man' near Washington

An ultra-violent Latino street gang that President Donald Trump has vowed to wipe out beheaded a man and cut out his heart before burying him in a park near the US capital, reports said Wednesday. The victim, who has not yet been identified, was stabbed more than 100 times in Wheaton, Maryland just outside Washington DC, according to a statement by the Montgomery County Police Department. Authorities have so far arrested Miguel Angel Lopez-Abrego, 19, on first-degree murder.

Trump labels father of UCLA player an
Trump labels father of UCLA player an 'ungrateful fool'

In a series of tweets fired off before dawn on the first day of his Thanksgiving vacation, the president complained yet again that LaVar Ball, father of LiAngelo Hall, hasn't given him credit for the release of his son and two other UCLA basketball players from detention in China. ''Too

'We don't need a liberal:' Trump discounts Moore accusations

President Donald Trump on Tuesday discounted allegations of sexual assault against Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore and said voters should not support Moore's "liberal" rival. Trump ...

Sarah Silverman Says She 'Fell In Love' With Trump Voters While Traveling
Sarah Silverman Says She 'Fell In Love' With Trump Voters While Traveling

Sarah Silverman has some things to say about Trump voters she's encountered while traveling for work ― and they're all positive!

Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities order
Judge permanently blocks Trump sanctuary cities order

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.