Vice President Mike Pence discloses donors who helped pay nearly $500K in legal bills from Mueller investigation




Vice President Mike Pence discloses donors who helped pay nearly $500K in legal bills from Mueller investigation
Vice President Mike Pence discloses donors who helped pay nearly $500K in legal bills from Mueller investigation  

WASHINGTON - Vice President Mike Pence received nearly $500,000 from a dozen contributors to pay his legal bills from special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, according to his annual financial disclosure report that was released Tuesday.

The biggest backers were Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon and the California couple Michael Hayde and Laura Khouri who develop and manage apartment complexes. They each gave $100,000.

Other contributors include Pence's political adviser Marty Obst; national GOP fundraiser Ronald Weiser of Michigan; Florida real estate investor Leo Wells; Indiana businessmen Lawrence "Sonny" Beck, Paul Thrift and Tony Moravec; and Georgia businessman Brian McPheely, head of the country's fifth largest corrugated packaging company.

The legal defense fund was created in December 2018 by Jim Atterholt, who served as Pence's chief of staff when he was Indiana's governor.

John Bolton: Pence was a 'consistent ally' and equally 'stunned' by some Trump actions

Pence hired an attorney, former U.S. Attorney Richard Cullen, after Mueller was appointed in 2017. But he was not billed until the end of Mueller's investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election.

Expenses were paid last June and the fund was terminated in August, according to the disclosure report.

Atterholt previously told USA TODAY that he volunteered to start the fund because he doesn't believe legal bills should be the cost of public service.

Pence's disclosure report shows his largest asset is a pension from the state of Indiana valued between $500,000 and $1 million.

Pence and his wife, Karen, have a modest bank account and owe between $100,001 and $250,000 in loans that were taken out to help pay for their children's educations.

Karen Pence reported earning between $2,501 and $5,000 in royalties for children's books she illustrated.

Donors to the defense fund certified that Pence himself had not requested the money and that the contribution comes from personal funds. Donors were also required to be U.S. citizens and could not be a registered lobbyist, government employee, government contractor or agent of a foreign government.

Pence was not asked by Mueller's team for an interview but provided documents, a White House official previously said.

Pence had been on the periphery of the investigation. His exposure was primarily through statements he'd made that were later contradicted.

Pence had publicly announced on Jan. 15, 2017, that former national security adviser Michael Flynn assured him he had not discussed with Russian officials the sanctions that then-President Barack Obama had imposed on Russia before leaving office.

Flynn was fired after the White House was told by the Justice Department that Flynn had lied about those conversations.

Trump's pressure on former FBI director James Comey not to go after Flynn was one of the "key issues and events" that Mueller's team considered when investigating whether Trump tried to illegally thwart the investigation.

More: What the Mueller report on the Russia investigation says about Vice President Mike Pence

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Vice President Mike Pence discloses donors to Mueller defense fund.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pence says
Pence says 'early indications' show COVID-19 prevention measures working in Florida

Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday said the White House coronavirus task force sees signs COVID-19 prevention measures are working in Florida.

US surpasses three million coronavirus cases
US surpasses three million coronavirus cases

Despite surges in new infections, the White House wants to press forward with school reopenings.

US tops three million COVID-19 cases as Trump pushes schools to reopen
US tops three million COVID-19 cases as Trump pushes schools to reopen

The United States on Wednesday passed another grim coronavirus milestone with three million confirmed cases, as President Donald Trump downplayed the risks posed by the pandemic and aggressively pushed for schools to fully reopen. The coronavirus is surging in several southern hotspots including Texas, Florida, Louisiana and Arizona, while it has almost entirely receded from its former epicenter in New York and the north-east. Johns Hopkins University put the total at 3,009,611, in its real-time tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Pence says CDC changing school reopening guidelines after Trump called them
Pence says CDC changing school reopening guidelines after Trump called them 'tough and expensive'

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is revising its guidance on schools after Trump tweeted his disagreement with them, Pence said.

Televangelists, Dallas megachurch that hosted Pence approved for millions in pandemic aid
Televangelists, Dallas megachurch that hosted Pence approved for millions in pandemic aid
  • US
  • 2020-07-07 03:18:32Z

A Dallas megachurch whose pastor has been a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump was approved for a forgivable loan worth $2 million to $5 million, according to long-awaited government data released on Monday. Vice President Mike Pence spoke at a rally last month at the First Baptist Church of Dallas, whose pastor, Robert Jeffress, has been on Trump's evangelical advisory board. It was among the tens of thousands of religious organizations that received a total of $7.3 billion in pandemic aid from the Small Business Administration.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America