Veterans Group Calls Out Trump's 'Outrageous' Response To John McCain's Death




 

AMVETS, one of the country's largest veterans organizations, blasted President Donald Trump on Monday over his lackluster response to the recent death of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

The organization, also known as American Veterans, tweeted that it was "deeply disappointed in the lack of traditional and appropriate respect in the White House's reaction" to the decorated Vietnam veteran's death.

"AMVETS is calling on the White House to show appropriate respect for the passing of Sen. McCain," AMVETS tweeted. "He was a war hero, twice a presidential contender, and a national treasure who devoted his entire adult life to protecting and improving the American way of life."

Trump has faced significant backlash over his response to McCain's death. He issued a curt tweet on Sunday wishing McCain's family well, though not mentioning anything about the late Arizona lawmaker's legacy.

White House flags were lowered to half-staff after McCain's death on Saturday, but returned to full-staff early Monday. The White House was operating under a protocol of keeping the flag at half-staff for a day and a half following the death of a sitting member of Congress. Anything beyond that would require a presidential proclamation ― a relatively simple order to draft but one that Trump does not appear to have much interest in.

U.S. Capitol flags will remain at half-staff through McCain's interment on Sunday, a spokesman for House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) told HuffPost.

Trump didn't hide his longtime disdain for McCain, one of Trump's most outspoken Republican critics. He made headlines in summer 2015 ― soon after announcing his presidential run ― when he mocked McCain's military record during a political forum in Iowa. Trump suggested McCain wasn't a "war hero" because he was captured in Vietnam and held as a prisoner of war for over five years.

Though former Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama are slated to give eulogies at McCain's funeral on Sunday, Trump will not be in attendance, according to a spokesman for McCain. The Arizona senator reportedly disinvited Trump to his funeral months ago.

AMVETS has been critical of some Trump administration decisions previously, including the president's appointment of a Defense Department official to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs after David Shulkin was booted from the position. But the organization's flurry of tweets on Monday marks an escalation in their criticism of the president.

"It's outrageous that the White House would mark American hero John McCain's death with a two-sentence tweet, making no mention of his heroic and inspiring life," AMVETS National Executive Director Joe Chenelly said in a statement Monday.

He continued: "And by lowering flags for not one second more than the bare minimum required by law, despite a long-standing tradition of lowering flags until the funeral, the White House is openly showcasing its blatant disrespect for Senator McCain's many decades of service and sacrifice to our country as well as the service of all his fellow veterans."

The American Legion, another prominent veterans organization, also called on Trump to issue an "appropriate" proclamation honoring McCain's legacy and ordering the nation's flags be lowered to half-staff through the interment of his body.

"The American Legion urges the White House to follow long-established protocol following the death of prominent government officials," Denise Rohan, national commander of The American Legion, told HuffPost in a statement.

"Mr. President, just this year, you released presidential proclamations noting the deaths of Barbara Bush and Billy Graham," she continued. "Senator John McCain was an American hero and cherished member of The American Legion."

Veterans of Foreign Wars, the largest and oldest war veterans organization, also called on Trump to continue honoring McCain.

"The U.S. Flag Code calls for lowering the flag to half-staff on the day of and the day after the death of a member of Congress," a VFW spokesman told HuffPost. "That the White House did on Saturday and Sunday. We have asked the White House if the honor could be extended. No response back yet."

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

COMMENTS

More Related News

New poll shows Trump trailing Biden and four other Democrats
New poll shows Trump trailing Biden and four other Democrats

A nationwide Fox News poll released Sunday shows President Donald Trump trailing former vice president Joe Biden and no fewer than four other Democratic contenders as early campaigning for the 2020 election begins to gain steam. A separate survey of battleground states, by CBS, shows Democrats strongly favor Biden as the candidate most likely to beat Trump in next year's elections. The Fox poll showed Biden leading Trump by 49 percent to 39 percent among all registered voters nationwide, while Senator Bernie Sanders held nearly the same advantage over the president, at 49 percent to 40 percent.

Times
Times' Russia report is 'virtual treason,' Trump says

US President Donald Trump on Saturday accused The New York Times of "a virtual act of treason," after it reported the US is stepping up digital incursions into Russia's electric power grid. Current and former government officials have described the classified deployment of American computer

'Who is the a--hole': The congressman who missed his anniversary to keep lawmakers voting until 4 a.m.
'Who is the a--hole': The congressman who missed his anniversary to keep lawmakers voting until 4 a.m.

Rep. Chip Roy kept the House voting until 4 a.m. on Thursday as a form of protest - even though he missed his 15-year wedding anniversary.

Trump: Iran a
Trump: Iran a 'nation of terror,' was behind tanker attacks

Calling Iran "a nation of terror," President Donald Trump on Friday publicly accused the Persian Gulf nation of responsibility for recent attacks on oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Trump said Iran's culpability was "exposed" by the United States. While Iran has denied being involved in the attacks, U.S. Central Command released footage it said shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded limpet mine from the Japanese-owned tanker Kokuka Courageous.

Iran not seeking war with US, sending warning: analysts
Iran not seeking war with US, sending warning: analysts

Amid an intensifying war of words following dual tanker attacks in the Gulf, Iran is not seeking open conflict with the United States but is sending a warning to Washington, analysts say. Tensions around the Gulf shipping channel, vital to the transportation of crude, soared after two tankers came under attack early Thursday, with the US quickly blaming Iran for the incidents. "(Iranian supreme leader Ayatollah Ali) Khamenei and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps are rational actors -- despite how some portray them -- and they will not want, unduly, to invite Iran's annihilation," said Middle East analyst and author Neil Partrick.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.