US women footballers' equal pay lawsuit to go to trial in 2020




In this photo taken on July 10, 2019 Megan Rapinoe (C) and other members of the World Cup-winning US women
In this photo taken on July 10, 2019 Megan Rapinoe (C) and other members of the World Cup-winning US women's team take part in a ticker tape parade in New York  

Los Angeles (AFP) - The equal pay lawsuit filed by US women footballers against the US Soccer Federation has been scheduled to go to trial on May 5, 2020, the players' spokesperson said Monday.

The gender discrimination lawsuit regarding unequal pay and working conditions was filed on March 8 by 28 players, and Monday's trial date, set by US District Judge R. Gary Klausner in Los Angeles, comes a week after the players and the federation reached an impasse in mediation.

"We are pleased with the expeditious schedule that has been set by the Court and we are eager to move forward with this case," Molly Levinson, a spokesperson for the US women players, said in a statement. "We very much look forward to the trial in May 2020 when the players will have their day in court.

"We have every confidence that these world champion athletes will get what they legally deserve -- nothing less than equal pay and working conditions."

The May date will put the jury trial amid the team's build up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, although it remains possible a settlement could be reached before then.

The issue was center stage as the United States triumphed in the Women's World Cup in France in July, chants of "equal Pay" raining down on the champions after they defeated the Netherlands in the final.

US lawmakers have proposed legislation that would block federal funding for the 2026 Men's World Cup -- to be hosted jointly by the United States, Mexico and Canada -- until the federation pays its women's national team "fair and equitable wages".

A US Soccer spokesman said the federation was "continuing to work to find a resolution" to the dispute.

Federation president Carlos Cordeiro issued figures last month that he said showed US Soccer had compensated women more than men over the past decade, but the women players said the figures were misleading, noting they included salaries for National Women's Soccer League play.

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Latest: Fire department: LA blaze began under power line
The Latest: Fire department: LA blaze began under power line
  • US
  • 2019-10-14 23:44:19Z

Fire officials say a destructive fire that broke out on the edge of Los Angeles began beneath a high-voltage transmission tower. Capt. Erik Scott told The Associated Press on Monday that Los Angeles Fire Department arson investigators have only determined the origin of the fire, not its cause. The location was at the base of power lines owned by Southern California Edison.

Firefighters finishing containment of California wildfires
Firefighters finishing containment of California wildfires
  • US
  • 2019-10-14 16:40:02Z

Firefighters are dousing remaining smoldering areas from a destructive wildfire that raged along the northern edge of Los Angeles last week. The Los Angeles Fire Department says containment of the approximately 12-square-mile (31-square-kilometer) fire is at 43 percent Monday. The fire erupted Thursday night and was rapidly spread by Santa Ana winds.

Ronnie Ortiz-Magro
Ronnie Ortiz-Magro's Emergency Protective Order Has Been Lifted Over a Week Following Arrest

Ronnie Ortiz-Magro's Emergency Protective Order Extended

Latest: Winds ease as crews fight Southern California fire
Latest: Winds ease as crews fight Southern California fire
  • US
  • 2019-10-12 17:47:21Z

Containment is inching up on a smoky Los Angeles wildfire that damaged or destroyed more than 30 structures, as crews take advantage of calmer winds and cooler temperatures. Officials say the blaze in the San Fernando Valley hasn't grown significantly since Friday. Air quality is poor as smoke from the fire settles over much of greater Los Angeles.

Southern California wildfires burning unchecked
Southern California wildfires burning unchecked

Gusting winds fueling a fast-moving wildfire in southern California showed no signs of abating Saturday as a blaze that forced the evacuation of some 100,000 people kept burning out of control. A red flag warning of critical fire danger -- strong winds and very low humidity -- has been extended into the weekend, the National Weather Service said. Firefighters said people have taken evacuation orders seriously in the so-called Saddleridge fire burning in the San Fernando Valley area of greater Los Angeles.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Soccer

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.