US tried to take out another Iranian leader, but failed




  • In World
  • 2020-01-10 19:09:25Z
  • By Associated Press
US tried to take out another Iranian leader, but failed
US tried to take out another Iranian leader, but failed  

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. military tried, but failed, to take out another senior Iranian commander on the same day that an American airstrike killed the Revolutionary Guard's top general, U.S. officials said Friday.

The officials said a military airstrike by special operations forces targeted Abdul Reza Shahlai, a high-ranking commander in Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps but the mission was not successful. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a classified mission.

Officials said both Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani and Shahlai were on approved military targeting lists, which indicates a deliberate effort by the U.S. to cripple the leadership of Iran's Quds force, which has been designated a terror organization by the U.S. Officials would not say how the mission failed.

A U.S. drone strike on Jan. 3 killed Soleimani shortly after he landed at Baghdad International Airport. Trump administration officials have justified the killing as an act of self-defense, saying he was planning military acts that threatened large numbers of American military and diplomatic officials in the Middle East. Iran, however, called the attack an act of terrorism, and on Jan. 8 it launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq that house American and coalition forces. No one was killed in that retaliation.

The State Department offered a reward of $15 million early last month for information leading to the disruption of IRGC finances, including Shahlai, a key financier in the organization. The State Department said he "has a long history of targeting Americans and U.S. allies globally," and planned multiple assassinations of coalition forces in Iraq. It said that his activities included providing weapons and explosives to Shia militia groups and directing a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador in Washington, D.C., in 2011.

The Pentagon declined to discuss the highly-classified operation.

"We have seen the report of a January 2 airstrike in Yemen, which is long-understood as a safe space for terrorists and other adversaries to the United States. The Department of Defense does not discuss alleged operations in the region," said Navy Cdr. Rebecca Rebarich, a Pentagon spokeswoman.

The Washington Post first reported the development.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump Shrugs Off U.S. Soldiers
Trump Shrugs Off U.S. Soldiers' Injuries From Iran Attack: 'They Had Headaches'
  • World
  • 2020-01-22 14:20:59Z

At least 11 U.S. service members were airlifted out of Iraq following Iran's missile strikes on the Ain al-Asad air base.

A college student from Iran who waited a year to be granted a student visa was deported by US border patrol agents when he arrived
A college student from Iran who waited a year to be granted a student visa was deported by US border patrol agents when he arrived

An Iranian college student facing deportation has ignited outrage from local community members to politicians on Capitol Hill.

Iran MP offers reward for killing Trump, U.S. calls it
Iran MP offers reward for killing Trump, U.S. calls it 'ridiculous'

An Iranian lawmaker offered a $3 million reward to anyone who killed U.S. President Donald Trump and said Iran could avoid threats if it had nuclear arms, ISNA news agency reported on Tuesday amid Tehran's latest standoff with Washington. U.S. disarmament ambassador Robert Wood dismissed the reward

How Trump Twisted Iran Intel to Manufacture the
How Trump Twisted Iran Intel to Manufacture the 'Four Embassies' Threat
  • World
  • 2020-01-21 02:04:13Z

When President Donald Trump publicly claimed earlier this month that he had seen intel showing Iran's now-deceased top military leader Qassem Soleimani was plotting attacks on "four [American] embassies," senior officials in Trump's national-security apparatus shook their heads. They weren't sure exactly why the president leaned on that particular talking point, and scrambled in the following days to formulate answers to a barrage of questions from the media on exactly what the president had meant. Other officials wondered aloud whether the president had misrepresented the intelligence. "There were definitely questions [at the time, internally] about whether he had just made it up on the...

'Sorry for Lying to You for 13 Years': Iranian State TV Host Turns on Regime after Ukrainian Jet Downing

A number of Iranian TV hosts and other public personalities have denounced the regime in the wake of Iran's missile strike on a Ukrainian passenger jet that killed 176 people after the military mistook the jet for an enemy target."Apologies for lying to you for 13 years," state TV host of "Good Morning Iran" Gelareh Jabbari posted on Instagram last Monday. "It was very hard for me to believe our people have been killed, forgive me for believing this late."The post, which was seen by NBC News, has since been deleted.Taraneh Alidoosti, one of Iran's most popular actors and a star of the Oscar-winning 2016 movie The Salesman, also criticized the regime in a post...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World