US Treasury rejects Exxon Mobil request to drill in Russia




  • In World
  • 2017-04-21 20:45:49Z
  • By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER and DAVID KOENIG

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Trump administration has denied a request from Exxon Mobil to waive U.S. sanctions against Russia to allow the company to resume oil drilling around the Black Sea.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Friday in a brief statement that the administration "will not be issuing waivers to U.S. companies, including Exxon, authorizing drilling prohibited by current Russian sanctions."

Exxon said it understood the decision, while suggesting that the outcome will merely help European oil companies operating under less-stringent restrictions.

The decision comes just two days after it was reported that Exxon was seeking a waiver to resume a joint venture with Rosneft, a Russian state-owned oil company. Exxon said it filed the request in 2015.

The disclosure of Exxon's application was criticized in Congress by lawmakers who said the Trump administration should not reduce sanctions after U.S. intelligence agencies concluded that Russia interfered in last year's presidential election. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., tweeted of Exxon's request, "Are they crazy?"

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was Exxon's CEO before joining President Donald Trump's cabinet. While at Exxon, he cultivated close ties with Rosneft and Russian officials including President Vladimir Putin, and he spoke against sanctions that were imposed in 2014 in response to Russia's annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine.

The sanctions bar U.S. oil companies from transferring to Russia the advanced technology that is used to drill more efficiently offshore and in shale formations. Exxon has said in regulatory filings that the sanctions could lead to losses of up to $1 billion.

An Exxon spokesman said the company's application for a waiver was made to meet contractual obligations under a joint-venture agreement in Russia, "where competitor companies are authorized to undertake such work under European sanctions."

Rosneft officials have said that their joint venture with Italy's Eni S.p.A. plans to begin drilling this year in the Black Sea next to the area where Exxon hoped to drill.

Irving, Texas-based Exxon has disclosed receiving three waivers from the sanctions during the Obama administration for limited work with Rosneft.

Exxon's critics urged the Treasury Department to block more waivers, which they feared would give new momentum to drilling in the environmentally sensitive Russian Arctic.

Shares of Exxon Mobil Corp. fell 32 cents to close Friday at $80.69.

___

Koenig reported from Dallas.

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates
U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates

The U.S. Department of Justice sued AT&T Inc on Monday to block its $85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner Inc , saying the deal could raise prices for rivals and pay-TV subscribers. The lawsuit is the first major challenge to a merger by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has

Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies
Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies

One month before the Trump administration sparked outrage by reversing a ban on trophies from threatened African elephants, federal officials quietly loosened restrictions on the importation of heads and ...

Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview
Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview

On Friday, Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo bluntly declared that President Donald Trump is facing "no allegations" of sexual harassment. Pundits and media watchers widely mocked the segment with former Obama administration deputy Secretary of Labor Chris Lu, generally labeling it a disaster.

'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax
'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax

Almost 50 years after man walked on the moon, the "giant leap for mankind" is under the microscope once again - with conspiracy theorists convinced they have proof one of the moon landings was fake. A picture allegedly taken in December 1972 of the final Apollo 17 moon mission has been shared online, and shows what one YouTuber believes is the reflection of a "stagehand" in the helmet of one of the astronauts. The photo, uploaded to YouTube this week by a user named Streetcap1 is entitled "Reflection in a Visor," and Streetcap1 suggests this casts doubt onto whether the 1972 moon landing, in particular, was staged.

US general says nuclear launch order can be refused
US general says nuclear launch order can be refused

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) - The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command said Saturday an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.