US service members injured in Iran bombing despite prior claims; 11 airlifted for treatment




  • In World
  • 2020-01-17 04:24:40Z
  • By ABC News
US service members injured in Iran bombing despite prior claims; 11 airlifted for treatment
US service members injured in Iran bombing despite prior claims; 11 airlifted for treatment  

US service members injured in Iran bombing despite prior claims; 11 airlifted for treatment originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

U.S. officials confirmed late Thursday that some American troops were injured in Iran's missile attacks on American service members in Iraq despite prior claims no one was hurt.

Eleven service members were flown out of Iraq in the last 24 to 36 hours, an official told ABC News. Eight were taken to Landstuhl, Germany, while another three were taken to Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.

MORE: Trump addresses nation, de-escalates crisis over Iran's missile attacks

Some of those who suffered traumatic brain injuries from the Iranian attack on Ain al-Asad base last week were evacuated recently out of Iraq.

"While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed," Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command, said in a press release. "As a standard procedure, all personnel in the vicinity of a blast are screened for traumatic brain injury, and if deemed appropriate are transported to a higher level of care."

Because of HIPPA laws, a U.S. official couldn't provide many details of the injuries -- only saying the service members' TBI symptoms had worsened enough to warrant evacuation out of Iraq.

"When deemed fit for duty, the service members are expected to return to Iraq following screening," Urban said. "The health and welfare of our personnel is a top priority and we will not discuss any individual's medical status."

MORE: What's behind the latest European bid to save the Iran nuclear deal

In the wake of the attack, which was done in retaliation for the U.S. drone strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, President Donald Trump said no one was injured.

"I'm pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy," he said Jan. 8 in a live address to the nation. "No Americans were harmed in last night's attack by the Iranian regime."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pompeo jousts with Dems at hearing, 1st since impeachment
Pompeo jousts with Dems at hearing, 1st since impeachment
  • World
  • 2020-02-28 15:26:20Z

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo defended the Trump administration's response to the spreading coronavirus and faced contentious questions from Democrats about an airstrike that killed Iran's most powerful general. Democrats on the House Foreign Affairs Committee expressed frustration that the panel was afforded only two hours to question Pompeo, who until Friday had gone months without a public appearance on Capitol Hill. Rep. Gregory Meeks, a New York Democrat, recalled Pompeo's "thundering" while in Congress about the need for testimony from one of his Democratic predecessors, Hillary Clinton.

Iran Can
Iran Can't Hide Its Coronavirus Explosion, But It's Trying Hard-and Putting the World in Danger
  • World
  • 2020-02-27 10:26:29Z

Iran's deputy health minister was drenched in sweat at the press conference on Monday where he vehemently denied Tehran was covering up the extent of the coronavirus outbreak. He kept wiping his brow with his handkerchief and was in visible distress as he said quarantines were a "stone-age" way to address the problem, and Iran doesn't need them. Then, sure enough, that night he tested positive for the virus himself and put himself in quarantine. The irony of Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi's case would be funny almost, were Iran's conspicuous bungling of the coronavirus threat not a menace to the whole region and, indeed, to the world. As The Daily Beast's partner publication,...

Iran
Iran's Incompetent Response to Coronavirus Threatens the Middle East and the World

The Iranian government has covered up an outbreak of coronavirus that now threatens the Middle East and has led to border closures and hospitalizations in five countries. Over the weekend of February 21, president Hassan Rouhani and other Iranian officials downplayed the growing crises as Iran's death toll from the virus climbed. It is now apparent that the regime, which has threatened the region with ballistic missiles, drones, naval mines, and militias over the last few years, has become a health threat as well, as it incubates a potential pandemic. The coronavirus has likely traveled from China to Iran's city of Qom along the same route that pilgrims and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard...

Iran to Sentence Citizens Who "Spreads Rumors" about Coronavirus to Flogging, Three Years in Prison
Iran to Sentence Citizens Who "Spreads Rumors" about Coronavirus to Flogging, Three Years in Prison

An Iranian parliament spokesman on Wednesday announced that anyone found to be "spreading rumors" about the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak will be sentenced to one-to-three years in prison and flogging, Iran state news agency IRNA reported."Spreading fake news over coronavirus outbreak will people panic. It also will pave the ground for the country's shutdown," said Hassan Norouzi, spokesman for the parliament's legal and judicial committee, in comments translated by the Tehran Times.Norouzi said the prison sentence and flogging is based on "on the Islamic penal code," and 24 people have been arrested already on suspicion of "spreading rumors" about the...

Why is Iran
Why is Iran's reported mortality rate for coronavirus higher than in other countries?
  • World
  • 2020-02-26 00:52:00Z

Iran's reported mortality rate for the illness - about 16 percent - surpasses the rate for other countries by a dramatic margin.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World