US general says nuclear launch order can be refused




 

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) - The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command said Saturday an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of Strategic Command, told a panel at the Halifax International Security Forum on Saturday that he and Trump have had conversations about such a scenario and that he would tell Trump he couldn't carry out an illegal strike.

"If it's illegal, guess what's going to happen. I'm going to say, 'Mr President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?'" Hyten said.

"And we'll come up with options with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works."

In the event that Trump decided to launch a nuclear attack, Hyten would provide him with strike options that are legal.

The command would control nuclear forces in a war.

The comments come as the threat of nuclear attack from North Korea remains a serious concern and Trump's critics question his temperament. Trump's taunting tweets aimed at Pyongyang have sparked concerns primarily among congressional Democrats that he may be inciting a war with North Korea.

During testimony before the Foreign Relations Committee earlier this month, retired Gen. Robert Kehler who served as the head of Strategic Command from January 2011 to November 2013, also said the U.S. armed forces are obligated to follow legal orders, not illegal ones.

Hyten said he's talked it over with Trump.

"I think some people think we're stupid. We're not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility how do you not think about it?,' he said.

He said he would not obey an illegal order.

"You could go to jail for the rest of your life," he said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Sen. Mitch McConnell says he
Sen. Mitch McConnell says he's confident government shutdown can be avoided as Democrats turn down latest offer

President Donald Trump is exploring "different" sources to pay for his proposed wall along the Mexican border, the White House said Tuesday.

Little if any progress as partial government shutdown looms
Little if any progress as partial government shutdown looms

WASHINGTON (AP) - The fight over President Donald Trump's $5 billion wall funds has deepened, threatening a partial government shutdown in a standoff that has become increasingly common in Washington.

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign
Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign 'In The Coming Weeks'

MSNBC's Chris Matthews said Monday that President Donald Trump could resign as

Trump meets with team as clock ticks to partial shutdown
Trump meets with team as clock ticks to partial shutdown

WASHINGTON (AP) - The standoff over President Donald Trump's $5 billion wall funds deepened Monday, threatening a partial government shutdown in a standoff that has become increasingly common in Washington.

Judge Lobs Political Bomb at Trump by Nullifying Obamacare
Judge Lobs Political Bomb at Trump by Nullifying Obamacare

The case may not be resolved in the courts before 2020, legal experts said, which could make it a defining issue in the race for the White House and Congress. Democrats immediately jumped on the Friday night ruling to warn that health care coverage for millions of Americans was at stake due to the Republican-led lawsuit that sought to void popular parts of Obamacare, including protections for pre-existing conditions and a ban on annual lifetime limits. Also at risk are provisions that affect the wider health insurance market, such as keeping adults on their parents' policies until age 26.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.