US denounces 'avoidable' citizen death in Egypt custody




US President Donald Trump and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi meet on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in September 2019
US President Donald Trump and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi meet on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in September 2019  

Washington (AFP) - An American citizen whose case was raised by top US leaders died Monday after more than six years in custody in Egypt, his representatives said, drawing criticism by Washington of its authoritarian ally.

Moustafa Kassem, a New York taxi driver originally from Egypt who was arrested on a home visit in 2013, had been on a liquid-only hunger strike since September 2018 and four days ago ceased drinking fluids.

"His death in custody was needless, tragic and avoidable," said David Schenker, the top US diplomat for the Middle East, offering his "sincere condolences" to Kassem's family.

"I'll continue to raise our serious concerns about human rights and Americans detained in Egypt at every opportunity, as will the entire team at the Department of State," he said.

Schenker, however, did not specify any repercussions for Egypt, where President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has closely aligned himself with US President Donald Trump in their opposition to Islamists.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had raised Kassem's case last month in a meeting in Washington with Egypt's foreign minister, and Vice President Mike Pence said he raised his case directly with Sisi on a 2018 visit to Cairo.

The 64-year-old father of two, who most recently ran an auto-parts business on Long Island, was detained as part of a major crackdown in 2013 on protests against Sisi, who had seized power in a coup.

Kassem denied he had joined the protests, saying that he had gone out to exchange money and had shown his US passport to police.

He was nonetheless sentenced in 2018 in a mass trial with hundreds of defendants to 15 years in prison on charges of trying to overthrow the government, according to his lawyers.

"No individualized evidence was ever presented against him," Pretrial Rights International and The Freedom Initiative, which represented him, said in a statement.

The group said Kassem was diabetic and that he was believed to have died of a heart failure, although they were awaiting an autopsy.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pence slams Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts as
Pence slams Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts as 'a disappointment to conservatives'

The vice president blasted the judge over his recent rulings, including a vote to strike down a Louisiana law that upset anti-abortion advocates.

Vice President Mike Pence calls Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts
Vice President Mike Pence calls Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts 'a disappointment to conservatives'

Pence held up Roberts as a political siren call to remind Republican voters "just how important this election is for the future of the Supreme Court."

Pence criticizes Chief Justice Roberts, says court
Pence criticizes Chief Justice Roberts, says court's future 'on the ballot in 2020'

The vice president criticized Chief Justice John Roberts after he sided against conservatives on several key cases, particularly one pertaining to abortion.

Pence calls Chief Justice John Roberts
Pence calls Chief Justice John Roberts 'a disappointment to conservatives'

Vice President Mike Pence isn't happy that Chief Justice John Roberts played a role in upholding the Affordable Care Act and rejecting a Nevada church's challenge to coronavirus restrictions, calling him a "disappointment to conservatives."In an interview with the Christian Broadcast Network on Wednesday, Pence said such cases "are a reminder of just how important this election is for the future of the Supreme Court." Roberts also sided with the court's liberal wing in June to strike down a Louisiana abortion law, and Pence said that ruling should be "a wake up call for pro-life voters around the country who understand in a very real sense that the destiny of the...

Another watchdog at US State Department abruptly gone
Another watchdog at US State Department abruptly gone

The internal watchdog looking into accusations about arms deals against US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo abruptly quit Wednesday, just months after his predecessor was fired. Stephen Akard --the State Department's acting inspector general -- is a longtime aide to Vice President Mike Pence and his installation in May had widely been seen as a way to keep a friendly figure in the role. A State Department spokesperson said Akard was "returning to the private sector after years of public service," adding: "We appreciate his dedication to the department and to our country."

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America