US court grants Ronaldo's bid to block accuser in rape case




Ronaldo Rape Case Vegas Soccer
Ronaldo Rape Case Vegas Soccer  

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyers won a courtroom bid Thursday to block a Nevada woman accusing the soccer superstar of raping her in Las Vegas in 2009 from digging into the validity of their 2010 confidentiality agreement and $375,000 hush-money payment.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Daniel Albregts told Kathryn Mayorga's attorney that it will be up to a higher-level judge to decide if her effort to obtain more money advances to trial or is diverted to closed-door arbitration.

Albregts, who was named in August to the U.S. District Court, now handles filings and pretrial arguments in a case that Ronaldo's lawyers want dismissed or moved to private talks.

He said his preliminary review of documents filed under seal in the civil lawsuit before U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey led him to agree with Ronaldo's lawyers that the records should, at least for now, remain sealed.

Mayorga's attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, declined to comment about the ruling.

The Associated Press generally doesn't name people who say they're victims of sexual assault, but Mayorga gave consent through her attorneys last year to be identified.

Mayorga, now 36, is a former teacher and model who lives in the Las Vegas area. She says in court documents she met Ronaldo at a nightclub and went with him and other people to his suite at the Palms Hotel and Casino, where she alleges he assaulted her in a bedroom.

Ronaldo, through his lawyers, maintains the sex was consensual.

Ronaldo, 34, of Portugal is one of the richest athletes in the world. He plays in Italy for the Turin-based soccer club Juventus and captains his home country's national team.

Stovall said in court he wanted communication records between Ronaldo and the athlete's attorneys in the U.S. and Portugal ahead of the 2010 settlement to answer questions that Mayorga now raises about the legality of the contract.

Her lawyer maintains that Mayorga, then 25, had learning disabilities as a child, and the records he seeks would show Ronaldo's legal team knew she was so distraught that she lacked the legal capacity to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Ronaldo lawyers Kendelee Works and Peter Christiansen say there is no evidence Mayorga was incapacitated or incapable of understanding what she was signing. Works said in court that the existence of the agreement and payment should never have been disclosed publicly.

Now that it is, Ronaldo's lawyers say the contract calls for out-of-court arbitration to resolve the dispute.

Ronaldo's lawyers also maintain that news reports in Europe in 2017 about the settlement and payment were based on electronic data that was illegally hacked, stolen and sold by cybercriminals.

They say they believe the documents have been altered and complain that Mayorga's lawsuit is damaging Ronaldo's reputation.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Buffon breaks Serie A appearances record as Juve move seven points clear
Buffon breaks Serie A appearances record as Juve move seven points clear

Gianluigi Buffon set a new Serie A appearances record on Saturday as Juventus beat Torino 4-1 in the Turin derby to move seven points clear at the top of the table. The 42-year-old goalkeeper Buffon passed the previous record of 647 appearances he jointly held with AC Milan great Paolo Maldini as he started the game at the Allianz Stadium. Cristiano Ronaldo was among the scorers, becoming the first Juve player to score 25 Serie A goals in a season in 59 years, as Maurizio Sarri's men moved further clear of second-placed Lazio, who host in-form AC Milan later on Saturday.

The Nigerian Email Scammer Who Stole Millions From Premier League Club, NY Law Firm, Banks
The Nigerian Email Scammer Who Stole Millions From Premier League Club, NY Law Firm, Banks

Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, who went by the name Ray Hushpuppi, made no secret of his extraordinary wealth. On an Instagram account with 2.3 million followers, he posted photos of himself dripping in high-end watches, wearing robes with his name emblazoned on the back, and driving a $300,000 Mercedes or a white Rolls Royce Cullinan with the hashtag AllMine.He took private jets to Paris, shopped at Gucci and Louis Vuitton, and indulged in cakes depicting himself surrounded by Fendi bags. His address was 1706 Palazzo Versace in Dubai.On Snapchat, under the username "hushpuppi5," he called himself "The Billionaire Gucci Master!!!"Abbas claimed to be a real estate developer. But his wealth was...

Mary Trump: You Can
Mary Trump: You Can't Gag Me Because Settlement Was a 'Fraud'

The legal fight over a tell-all by President Trump's niece took another turn on Thursday when her lawyers filed papers to remove a temporary restraining order, arguing that the confidentiality agreement she signed 19 years ago was an unenforceable fraud.In an affidavit, Mary Trump said that when she inked the agreement, ending a dispute over her grandfather's will, she believed the asset amounts in it were accurate, but learned they were bogus from a New York Times expose.In addition, she said that she did not believe the agreement would have barred her from telling her "life story"-which just happens to include details of "the conduct and character of my uncle, the sitting President of...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Soccer