US bolsters Saudi defense against Iran with jets, missiles




  • In World
  • 2019-10-11 16:51:08Z
  • By Associated Press
US Saudi Arabia
US Saudi Arabia  

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. will send fighter jets and additional air defenses to Saudi Arabia to defend the kingdom against Iran amid heightened tensions between the two Middle Eastern adversaries, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday.

Esper announced the deployment of several dozen fighter jets along with other aircraft and additional air defenses hours after Iran said two missiles struck one of its oil tankers traveling through the Red Sea off the coast of Saudi Arabia.

No one has claimed responsibility for that attack, but it came after months of increased tensions between the two countries. The deployment is also part of the response to the suspected Iranian missile and drone attack on Saudi oil facilities on Sept. 14.

Esper said the decision followed discussions with the Saudi minister of defense about the country's defensive capabilities.

"Saudi Arabia is a longstanding security partner in the Middle East and has asked for additional support to supplement their own defense and defend the international rules-based order," he told reporters at the Pentagon.

The U.S. will send two fighter jet squadrons, other planes, two Patriot missile batteries and one anti-missile defense system known as THAAD. U.S. officials said the effort will involve about 1,800 service members.

The Sept. 14 attack on the Saudi oil facilities, as well as earlier ones on a pipeline in the kingdom and ships in the gulf, stem from the President Donald Trump's decision to unilaterally withdraw America from Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers and impose crushing sanctions targeting Iran's crude oil sales and shipments. Iranian officials warned for weeks that if they could not sell their oil, neither would anyone else in the region.

COMMENTS

More Related News

George Floyd: Can President Trump deploy the military?
George Floyd: Can President Trump deploy the military?

With protests continuing across the US, President Trump says he could send in troops.

Trump
Trump's former defense secretary Mattis blasts president as a threat to American democracy

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis blasted Trump as failing to unite the country and militarizing the response to protests of George Floyd's death.

'I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act': Defense Secretary Esper breaks with Trump on use of troops

"The option to use active-duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort," Esper said.

Pentagon chief opposes using active duty troops to quell protests
Pentagon chief opposes using active duty troops to quell protests

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday he was against using active duty troops to quell the protests for racial justice gripping the United States -- breaking with President Donald Trump's recent threat to deploy the military to restore order. Tens of thousands of demonstrators had defied night-time curfews in several US cities going into a ninth day of unrest to voice anger over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed, handcuffed black man killed by a white police officer last week in Minnesota.

Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters
Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters

Under intense criticism for seeming to give President Trump's violent response to institutional police racism the imprimatur of the military, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he opposes using the active-duty military-even as an infantry battalion arrived outside Washington, D.C.The use of active-duty

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World