UPDATE 1-Syrian Kurdish official warns of Islamic State jail break




  • In US
  • 2019-10-10 11:32:10Z
  • By Reuters

(Adds quotes, comments on attack on prison, details, context)

BEIRUT, Oct 10 (Reuters) - A senior Kurdish official warned on Thursday that Islamic State militants could break out of prisons in northeast Syria as fighting intensifies between the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and Turkey.

Badran Jia Kurd told Reuters the number of security forces guarding the IS detainees would have to be reduced as the Turkish forces step up an offensive that got underway on Wednesday.

"This attack will definitely reduce and weaken the guarding system for those Daesh militants in the prisons," he said, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State.

"This could lead to their escape or to behaviors that may get out of the control of the security forces," added Jia Kurd, adviser to the Kurdish-led authority running much of north and east Syria.

"The number of forces guarding the prisons is reduced the more the battles intensify. This poses a grave danger."

Turkey launched an offensive on Wednesday against Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria, after U.S. forces withdrew from part of the border region, opening up a dangerous new phase in Syria's more than eight-year-old conflict.

The SDF holds thousands of Islamic State fighters in prisons and tens of thousands of their relatives in camps, many of them foreigners. With the Kurdish YPG militia at its forefront, the SDF defeated jihadists in swathes of north and east Syria with U.S. help including ground forces and air power.

The border strip which U.S. forces vacated this week, and which is believed to be the focus of Ankara's offensive, is a nearly 100-km (62-mile) stretch between the Syrian towns of Tel Abyad and Ras al-Ain. It does not include prisons.

The Kurdish-led authority accused Turkey of bombing a prison holding jihadists of more than 60 nationalities. The shelling on Wednesday night targeted part of Chirkin prison in the city of Qamishli, it said.

Turkey has yet to respond to the accusation. (Reporting by Ellen Francis Editing by Peter Graff)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Mitch McConnell Calls Syria Withdrawal
Mitch McConnell Calls Syria Withdrawal 'Grave Strategic Mistake'

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) lambasted the Trump administration's decision to withdraw Troops from Syria on Friday, declaring that "America's wars will be 'endless' only if America refuses to win them."In an op-ed published in the Washington Post, McConnell - who said on Thursday that he wanted "a strong, forward-looking strategic statement" - called Trump's withdrawal "a grave strategic mistake" that mirrors "the Obama administration's reckless withdrawal from Iraq, which facilitated the rise of the Islamic State in the first place."In his op-ed, McConnell laid out "three principal lessons" he has learned from the fight against Islamic terrorism in the years following...

Amid scattered fighting, Erdogan threatens to restart Syria operation
Amid scattered fighting, Erdogan threatens to restart Syria operation

Mustefa Bali, a spokesman for the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), accused Turkey, however, of violating the ceasefire deal reached during a visit to Ankara on Thursday by US Vice President Mike Pence. "Despite the agreement to halt the fighting, air and artillery attacks continue to target the positions of fighters, civilian settlements and the hospital" in the border town of Ras al-Ain in northeastern Syria, he said.

U.S. ground troops will not enforce Syria safe zone: defense secretary
U.S. ground troops will not enforce Syria safe zone: defense secretary

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.

'Don't be a fool!' Donald Trump's letter 'binned' by Turkish president as Mike Pence attempts to broker ceasefire
  • World
  • 2019-10-17 15:43:44Z

The United States faced further diplomatic humiliation on Thursday as it emerged that Recep Tayyip Erdogan "binned" a letter from Donald Trump asking him not to invade Syria and vowed to continue Turkey's operation there despite US calls for a ceasefire. News of the spectacular snub came as Mike Pence, the US vice president, flew into Ankara on an emergency mission to end Turkey's assault on formerly US-allied Kurdish forces and defuse a rapidly escalating diplomatic crisis between Nato's two largest armies.  The letter, dated October 9, the day the Turkish offensive began, was released by the White House on Wednesday in response to accusations that Mr Trump gave Mr Erdogan a "green...

US delegation seeking a cease-fire with Turkey and Kurds
US delegation seeking a cease-fire with Turkey and Kurds
  • World
  • 2019-10-17 11:53:53Z

A senior U.S. delegation faces the herculean task of pressuring Turkey to accept a cease-fire in Northern Syria, hours after President Donald Trump declared the U.S. has no stake in defending Kurdish fighters who died by the thousands as America's partners against Islamic State extremists. Vice

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.