UPDATE 1-China's top diplomat tells Pompeo US should stop interfering in China's internal affairs




  • In US
  • 2019-12-07 11:38:42Z
  • By Reuters

(Adds detail, background)

BEIJING, Dec 7 (Reuters) - China's top diplomat Yang Jiechi told U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a phone call on Saturday that the United States should stop interfering in China's internal affairs, according to a report by state TV.

Citing the passing of the Uighur Human Rights Policy Act of 2019 and the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act of 2019, Yang said the United States had seriously violated international relations, and urged Washington to "correct its mistakes" and "immediately stop interfering in China's internal affairs".

The U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation on Tuesday requiring a stronger response to Beijing's treatment of its Uighur Muslim minority.

U.N. experts and activists say China has detained possibly one million Uighurs in mass detention camps in Xinjiang, a region in China's far west.

China says the camps are part of an anti-terror crackdown and are providing vocational training. It denies any mistreatment of Uighurs.

The Uighur Act followed U.S. legislation recently signed into law by President Donald Trump aimed at protecting human rights in Hong Kong amid a crackdown on pro-democracy protests.

What started as demonstrations against a now-withdrawn bill allowing extradition from Hong Kong to mainland China has morphed into calls for greater democratic freedoms and nearly six months of sometimes violent protests in Hong Kong. Beijing has condemned the unrest and blamed foreign interference.

Yang said U.S. officials have repeatedly made statements that distorted and attacked China's political system and domestic and foreign policies, and interfered in China's internal affairs.

"China expresses its firm opposition and strongly condemns this," said Yang, according to the report.


(Reporting by Dominique Patton Editing by Ros Russell)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Germany
Germany's Maas calls Pompeo over pipeline sanctions threat
  • US
  • 2020-08-10 13:40:39Z

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said Monday he personally reached out to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to express "dismay" over a warning by three Republican senators who threatened sanctions against a German port operator for its part in a pipeline project with Russia. Maas said he called Pompeo on Sunday to talk about the letter sent last week by Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Tom Cotton and Sen. Ron Johnson, which targeted Faehrhafen Sassnitz GmbH, the operator of the Mukran Port located in German Chancellor Angela Merkel's constituency on the Baltic Sea island of Ruegen.

China business travel returns for Marriott, revenue tumbles
China business travel returns for Marriott, revenue tumbles

Marriott has reopened 91% of its hotels globally as business travel reemerges in China and worldwide occupancy, which tumbled to 11% in April, reached 34%. The company reported quarterly profits on Monday that fell far short of expectations, however, and revenue plunged. In China, where business travel and even some group events resumed, occupancy levels reached 60%, about 10% lower than the same period last year, Marriott said.

China sanctions 11 US politicians, heads of organizations
China sanctions 11 US politicians, heads of organizations
  • World
  • 2020-08-10 09:37:26Z

China on Monday announced unspecified sanctions against 11 U.S. politicians and heads of organizations promoting democratic causes, including Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, who have already been singled out by Beijing. Foreign ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian on Monday said the 11 had "performed badly" on issues concerning Hong Kong, where China has cracked down on opposition voices following its imposition of a national security law in the semi-autonomous southern Chinese city last month.

Explainer: Microsoft
Explainer: Microsoft's TikTok bid spotlights Windows maker's history with China

Microsoft Corp has emerged as the most likely buyer of the U.S. operations of TikTok, the popular Chinese short-video app that U.S. President Donald Trump is preparing to effectively ban on national security grounds. A deal would be in line with Microsoft's stance toward China where the firm has a sizeable presence - unlike fellow U.S. tech heavyweights such as Facebook Inc and Alphabet Inc's Google which appear to have given up on China's consumer-facing market with its miscellany of government strictures. The country accounts for over $2 billion in annual revenue, Microsoft President Brad Smith said earlier this year.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US