UPDATE 1-Afghan government says real peace will come when Taliban stop violence, hold direct talks




  • In US
  • 2019-09-08 07:42:33Z
  • By By Hamid Shalizi and Abdul Qadir Sediqi

* No peace deal without ceasfire-Afghan president

* Afghan president calls on Taliban to talk directly

* Trump cancels secret Taliban peace talks

* Taliban launch recent assaults

* Draft peace deal under cloud (Adds quotes, details)

By Hamid Shalizi and Abdul Qadir Sediqi

KABUL, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Afghan President Ashraf Ghani urged the Taliban on Sunday to end violence and talk directly to his government after U.S. President Donald Trump announced he had cancelled a planned meeting with the insurgent group over a draft peace accord.

"Real peace will come when Taliban agree to a ceasefire," Ghani's officials said in statement in response to Trump's cancellation of the secret peace talks.

Trump unexpectedly announced on Saturday that he had cancelled peace talks with the Taliban's "major leaders" at a presidential compound in Camp David, Maryland after the group claimed responsibility for an attack in Kabul last week that killed an American soldier and 11 other people.

U.S. diplomats have been talking with Taliban representatives for months seeking to agree to a plan to withdraw thousands of American troops in exchange for security guarantees by the Taliban.

A source close to the Taliban leadership in Afghanistan said the group will hold a meeting to discuss all aspects of ongoing negotiations before issuing a statement.

"Trump's tweets do not clarify if the deal has been canceled, he has just called-off the talks at this stage," the source said.

The Taliban have rejected calls for a ceasefire and stepped up assaults in recent weeks.

As negotiators reached a draft accord last week, Taliban fighters, who now control more territory than at any time since the war started in 2001, were launching assaults on the northern cities of Kunduz and Pul-e Khumri. They claimed responsibility for two major suicide bombings in the capital Kabul.

Trump's surprise announcement left in doubt the future of a draft peace accord worked out last week by Zalmay Khalilzad, the special U.S. envoy for peace in Afghanistan.

Under the accord some 5,000 U.S. troops would be withdrawn over the coming months in exchange for guarantees Afghanistan would not be used as a base for militant attacks on the United States and its allies.

A full peace agreement to end more than 18 years of war would depend on "intra Afghan" talks involving officials and civil society leaders as well as further agreement on issues including the remainder of the roughly 14,000-strong U.S. forces as well as thousands of other NATO troops.

But nine former U.S. ambassadors last week had warned that Afghanistan could collapse in a "total civil war" if Trump withdraws all U.S. forces before the Kabul government and the Taliban conclude a peace settlement.

A close aide to Ghani said Trump's decision to cancel talks at a time when the Taliban continue to mount attacks proved the concerns expressed by the Afghan government about the deal were acknowledged.

"We stand with President Trump's decision...the outcome of the draft deal did not guarantee a lasting peace in Afghanistan," the aide said on conditions of anonymity.

Trump said on Saturday that he had also planned to meet with Afghanistan's president, who has been sidelined from the talks by the Taliban's refusal to talk to what they consider an illegitimate "puppet" regime.

Ghani's office said in a statement it was committed to working together with the United States and allies for a "dignified and long-lasting peace", and emphasised the holding of the presidential election this month.

Ghani is seeking a second tenure in elections scheduled for Sept. 28, but the Taliban want the elections to be cancelled as a precondition to signing a peace accord with the Americans.

The statement said a lasting peace required "a strong, legitimate and a legal government through the upcoming elections to take the ongoing peace process forward with complete accuracy and prudence."

The Taliban's strategy of fresh assaults appears to be based on the assumption that battlefield success would strengthen their hand in future negotiations with U.S and Afghan officials.

Some of their field commanders have also said they are determined not to surrender gains when they are close to victory, suggesting the leadership is under internal pressure not to concede a ceasefire.

The warring sides have held nine rounds of peace talks in Qatar's capital city Doha aimed at ending America's longest war, which began with a U.S. invasion triggered by the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in New York, that al Qaeda launched from then Taliban-ruled Afghanistan. (Writing by Rupam Jain, James Mackenzie in Kabul, Editing by Michael Perry)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Coronavirus live updates: CDC warns Americans of
Coronavirus live updates: CDC warns Americans of 'significant disruption'
  • World
  • 2020-02-25 22:02:00Z

Until now, health officials said they'd hoped to prevent community spread in the U.S. But following community transmissions in Italy, Iran and South Korea, health officials believe the virus may not be able to be contained at the border. This comes in contrast to statements from the Trump administration.

Trump squabbles with CNN
Trump squabbles with CNN's Jim Acosta over Russia coverage during news conference in India

Trump went after CNN's Jim Acosta at a news conference in India. Acosta responded: "our record on delivering the truth is a lot better than yours."

Trump Demands Two Liberal Justices Recuse Themselves From His Cases
Trump Demands Two Liberal Justices Recuse Themselves From His Cases

NEW DELHI -- President Donald Trump lashed out at two liberal Supreme Court justices Tuesday, escalating his battle with the judicial system to new heights despite entreaties by his attorney general to refrain from Twitter blasts that complicate the administration's legal fights.Weighing in on a

Clinton calls Trump
Clinton calls Trump 'danger to democracy' at Berlin film fest

Hillary Clinton on Monday denounced President Donald Trump as a "danger to democracy" and defended her scathing comments about former rival and Democratic primary frontrunner Bernie Sanders. Clinton also warned that Russia would once again try to influence the presidential election in 2020,

Nearly two-thirds of voters expect Trump to win reelection in November, poll finds
Nearly two-thirds of voters expect Trump to win reelection in November, poll finds

Opinions on the race appear to be firmly set for most voters, with 63% saying they know how they will vote no matter who is the Democratic nominee.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US