U.S. Treasury vows no special treatment for Trump in investment reviews




  • In US
  • 2017-05-18 22:08:41Z
  • By By Jason Lange
U.
U.  

By Jason Lange

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Thursday pledged to treat "very seriously" any business dealings President Donald Trump or his family might have with foreign companies flagged by officials as national security risks.

Mnuchin did not say any such cases existed. A senior Democrat pressed Mnuchin, in an appearance before senators, to produce a list of the Trump family's business relationships with foreign companies.

Senator Sherrod Brown, the top Democrat on the Senate Banking Committee, said Mnuchin had not adequately responded to his March 2 letter asking if the Treasury had a list of Trump's business partners to see if any of them were on sanctions lists or had been investigated by a national security watchdog that analyzes foreign investments.

The Treasury released a copy of a March 31 letter responding to Brown which said the department works with other agencies "to address and mitigate potential conflicts of interest if and when they arise." Mnuchin said he reviewed cases at the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) every week. The Treasury is the lead department among the government agencies that are part of CFIUS.

"I can assure you that if there were any cases that involve the president or any members of his family that they would be treated very seriously. We would review them as we would anything else," Mnuchin told the Senate panel.

Trump, a wealthy real estate developer, has declined to sell his global businesses despite demands from critics that he do so to avoid conflicts of interest. Trump has said his two oldest sons will have daily control of his businesses while he is president.

A Reuters review in March found that at least 63 individuals with Russian passports or addresses have bought at least $98.4 million worth of property in seven Trump-branded luxury towers in southern Florida.

(Additional reporting by Pete Schroeder; Editing by Dan Grebler and Andrea Ricci)

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates
U.S. sues to stop AT&T buying Time Warner, says would hike rates

The U.S. Department of Justice sued AT&T Inc on Monday to block its $85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner Inc , saying the deal could raise prices for rivals and pay-TV subscribers. The lawsuit is the first major challenge to a merger by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has

Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies
Before elephants, US loosened limits on lion trophies

One month before the Trump administration sparked outrage by reversing a ban on trophies from threatened African elephants, federal officials quietly loosened restrictions on the importation of heads and ...

Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview
Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo goes on Twitter blocking spree after disastrous interview

On Friday, Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo bluntly declared that President Donald Trump is facing "no allegations" of sexual harassment. Pundits and media watchers widely mocked the segment with former Obama administration deputy Secretary of Labor Chris Lu, generally labeling it a disaster.

'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax
'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax

Almost 50 years after man walked on the moon, the "giant leap for mankind" is under the microscope once again - with conspiracy theorists convinced they have proof one of the moon landings was fake. A picture allegedly taken in December 1972 of the final Apollo 17 moon mission has been shared online, and shows what one YouTuber believes is the reflection of a "stagehand" in the helmet of one of the astronauts. The photo, uploaded to YouTube this week by a user named Streetcap1 is entitled "Reflection in a Visor," and Streetcap1 suggests this casts doubt onto whether the 1972 moon landing, in particular, was staged.

US general says nuclear launch order can be refused
US general says nuclear launch order can be refused

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) - The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command said Saturday an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.