U.S. Senator Menendez's corruption trial to proceed: judge




  • In US
  • 2017-10-16 16:27:11Z
  • By By Joseph Ax
 

By Joseph Ax

NEWARK, N.J. (Reuters) - The bribery case against U.S. Senator Bob Menendez survived a key test on Monday, as the federal judge overseeing his trial rejected a defense motion to throw out the most serious charges.

U.S. District Judge William Walls in Newark, New Jersey, allowed the trial to proceed on all charges, five days after suggesting he was inclined to dismiss the heart of the case based on a U.S. Supreme Court decision last year that narrowed the legal definition of public corruption.

Prosecutors have accused Menendez, a 63-year-old Democrat, of taking bribes from Florida ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen in exchange for using his office to help the doctor in a variety of ways.

Both men deny wrongdoing and say Melgen was acting out of friendship.

After prosecutors rested their case on Wednesday, defense lawyers renewed their argument that the Supreme Court's decision last year vacating the corruption conviction of former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell also undermined the bribery counts against Menendez.

Walls initially appeared ready to accept the contention that the McDonnell ruling invalidated a bribery theory known as "stream of benefits," in which someone offers bribes essentially to keep a politician on retainer, rather than paying for specific acts.

But following additional filings over the weekend and more arguments on Monday, Walls said he believed the stream of benefits theory is still valid under the law.

The McDonnell decision has caused several other corruption convictions to be overturned, including those of former top New York state lawmakers Sheldon Silver and Dean Skelos.

During the trial's first six weeks, prosecutors presented evidence that Menendez pressured federal officials to secure visas for Melgen's girlfriends, resolve a port dispute involving one of Melgen's businesses and change a Medicare reimbursement policy after the agency determined Melgen had overbilled it by millions of dollars.

In exchange, Melgen showered Menendez with private flights, luxury vacations and hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign backing, prosecutors said.

The defense is expected to begin on Monday afternoon. It is unlikely that Menendez will take the witness stand, though his lawyers have not said whether he plans to do so.

The case has been closely watched in Washington, where Republicans hold a 52-48 edge in the Senate. If Menendez is convicted and either resigns or is expelled before Republican New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's term expires in January, then Christie would name his replacement.

(Reporting by Joseph Ax; Editing by Scott Malone and Jonathan Oatis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

White House asks Supreme Court to allow full travel ban
White House asks Supreme Court to allow full travel ban

The White House asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday to allow President Donald Trump's latest travel ban to take full effect after an appeals court in California ruled last week that only parts of it could be enacted. A three-judge panel of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Nov. 13 partially granted a Trump administration request to block at least temporarily a judge's ruling that had put the new ban on hold. It ruled the government could bar entry of people from six Muslim-majority countries with no connections to the United States.

Allegations Against Al Franken Could Cost Democrats A Progressive Fighter In The Senate
Allegations Against Al Franken Could Cost Democrats A Progressive Fighter In The Senate

WASHINGTON ― The allegations of sexual harassment against Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.)

Mom goes to prison after son, 7, dies from strep throat because she didn't take him to the doctor
Mom goes to prison after son, 7, dies from strep throat because she didn't take him to the doctor

A Canadian woman found guilty of her 7-year-old son's death after failing to seek medical treatment for his severe strep infection has been sentenced to prison for three years.

Kenya
Kenya's Supreme Court upholds Kenyatta's presidential win

By Maggie Fick and Duncan Miriri NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenya's Supreme Court on Monday unanimously upheld the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta in last month's repeat presidential vote, paving the way for him to be sworn in next week. Chief Justice David Maraga said all six judges dismissed the two legal challenges to the vote. The opposition coalition NASA insisted the government was illegitimate.

Supreme Court upholds result of Kenya
Supreme Court upholds result of Kenya's presidential vote
  • World
  • 2017-11-20 09:22:25Z

By Maggie Fick and Duncan Miriri NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenya's Supreme Court on Monday unanimously upheld the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta in last month's repeat presidential vote, paving the way for him to be sworn in next week. Chief Justice David Maraga said all six judges dismissed

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.