U.S. says Iranian-directed convoy targeted by U.S. strike in Syria




  • In World
  • 2017-05-20 00:16:39Z
  • By By Phil Stewart

By Phil Stewart

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Friday it believed forces in a convoy targeted by U.S. military aircraft in southern Syria on Thursday were Iranian-directed, in a possible sign of increased tension between Washington and Tehran in the Syrian war.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon that the U.S. strike was defensive in nature. It was condemned by the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who has the backing of Iran and Russia.

A member of the U.S.-backed Syrian rebel forces told Reuters on Thursday the convoy comprised Syrian and Iranian-backed militias and was headed toward the garrison in Syria used by U.S. and U.S.-backed forces around the town of At Tanf.

The United States determined that the convoy posed a threat.

"It was necessitated ... by offensive movement with offensive capability of what we believe were Iranian-directed - I don't know there were Iranians on the ground - but by Iranian-directed forces," Mattis said at a news conference.

Rebel sources have warned of advances by Syrian army and Iranian-backed militia in the region near the strategic Damascus-Baghdad highway, which was once a major weapons supply route for Iranian weapons.

Mattis said he believed the Iranian-directed forces moved into the zone against the advice of Russia but that he was unable to confirm that with certainty.

"But it looks like the Russians tried to dissuade them," Mattis said.

A Western intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, has said the strike sent a strong message to Iranian-backed militias that they would not be allowed to reach the Iraq border from Syria.

Syrian government negotiator Bashar al-Ja'afari said on Friday he had raised the incident with U.N. mediator Staffan de Mistura at peace talks in Geneva.

"We discussed the massacre that the U.S. aggressor committed yesterday in our country. This subject was widely discussed," Ja'afari told reporters.

Thursday's air strike did not on its own suggest a shift in the U.S. military's focus in Syria, which has been on battling Islamic State militants.

But the latest move showed that the area around the Tanf garrison in southern Syria could be under pressure.

U.S. Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he had been working on ways to manage Syria's messy battlefield with Russia. There is no interaction between the U.S. and Syrian militaries.

"We had a proposal that we're working on with the Russians right now. I won't share the details," Dunford said.

"But my sense is that the Russians are as enthusiastic as we are to deconflict operations and ensure that we can continue to take the campaign to ISIS and ensure the safety of our personnel," he said, using an acronym for Islamic State.

(This version of the story was refiled to change to Iranian-directed, not Iran-directed in headline and paragraph 1)

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; additional reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin; editing by Grant McCool)

COMMENTS

More Related News

US ending temporary permits for almost 60,000 Haitians
US ending temporary permits for almost 60,000 Haitians

The Trump administration said Monday it is ending a temporary residency permit program that has allowed almost 60,000 citizens from Haiti to live and work in the United States since a 2010 powerful earthquake ...

Trump declares North Korea state sponsor of terrorism, triggers sanctions
Trump declares North Korea state sponsor of terrorism, triggers sanctions
  • World
  • 2017-11-20 18:37:34Z

By Jeff Mason WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Monday declared North Korea a state sponsor of terrorism, a designation that allows the United States to impose additional sanctions and risks inflaming tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and missile programs. The Republican president

U.S. envoy to Russia: visa consultations in consulates may resume soon - TASS
U.S. envoy to Russia: visa consultations in consulates may resume soon - TASS
  • World
  • 2017-11-20 12:49:00Z

Visa consultations in U.S. consulates in Russia could be resumed in the near future, TASS news agency cited U.S. Ambassador to Russia Jon Huntsman as saying on Monday. "I believe that in the near future they (visa consultations) may be resumed," the agency quoted him as saying. "We are

With little movement, NAFTA talks said to run risk of stalemate
With little movement, NAFTA talks said to run risk of stalemate

Talks to update the North American Free Trade Agreement appeared to be in danger of grinding to a stalemate amid complaints of U.S. negotiators' inflexibility, people familiar with the process said on Sunday. The United States, Canada and Mexico are holding the fifth of seven planned rounds of talks

5 Reasons No Nation Wants to Go to War with America
5 Reasons No Nation Wants to Go to War with America

Thus, each Ohio-class SSBN could carry up to 192 nuclear warheads on board. Altogether, America's sea-based deterrent boasts 336 nuclear-armed missiles, with about half of America's deployed nuclear warheads on board.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.