U.S. Says Accused Apple Secrets Thief Had Patriot Missile File




 

(Bloomberg) -- When U.S. prosecutors charged an Apple Inc. engineer in January with stealing trade secrets for a Chinese startup, a search of his home turned up something else, they said: a classified file from the Patriot missile program that belonged to his ex-employer, Raytheon Co.

The discovery has added a striking national security wrinkle to an otherwise routine corporate espionage case, and the government says it merits keeping Jizhong Chen under close scrutiny.

The Patriot document was discovered among numerous electronic devices and paper files from Chen's former employers including General Electric -- some of which were stamped "confidential," according to prosecutors.

Chen, a U.S. citizen who was arrested on his way to catch a flight to China, is awaiting trial on charges that he collected photos, schematics and manuals from his work on Apple's tightly guarded self-driving car project as he prepared to take a job with an unidentified rival.

He has pleaded not guilty and remains free on $500,000 bail. But prosecutors argue the stash of sensitive data found in Maryland justifies subjecting him to location monitoring with an electronic device so he doesn't disappear before his trial.

Lawyers representing Chen and a second former Apple engineer facing similar charges -- who is also fighting prosecutors over the need for location monitoring -- contend the government is exaggerating the risk they'll try to flee.

The 2011 document relating to one of Raytheon's best-known weapons was so secret that it "was not (and is not) permitted to be maintained outside of Department of Defense secured locations," prosecutors said in an Oct. 29 filing that hasn't previously been reported on by the media. Chen "has, for over eight years, illegally possessed classified national security materials taken from a former employer."

How a classified document ended up at an engineer's home raises provocative questions, but they're unlikely be answered in open court at a hearing set for Monday. A prosecutor and an attorney for Chen both declined to comment ahead of the hearing. A Raytheon spokeswoman didn't respond to a request for comment.

Read More: Tesla to Apple: Help Us Nail Robocar-Secrets Thief at China Firm

After prosecutors first raised concerns about the evidence they found in Maryland, a magistrate judge agreed in March to extend an electronic monitoring requirement to give the government time to investigate. She finally ordered an end to the monitoring in October -- and prosecutors are now asking a district judge to overrule her.

Lawyers for Chen say prosecutors have had enough time to present further evidence of criminal conduct. They also note that the federal office that supervises defendants on probation has concluded monitoring is no longer necessary because Chen has complied with all the conditions of his release and found full-time employment.

Daniel Olmos represents both Chen and Zhang Xiaolang, who also worked on Apple's autonomous driving project before he was arrested in July 2018 and accused of trying to take the company's trade secrets to China-based XMotors. The lawyer makes an argument that goes to the heart of the cases against both men: There's no evidence that Apple's intellectual property was shared with a third party. That's significant because possession of the information alone isn't necessarily a crime.

Olmos also contends that each of the engineers has strong ties in the U.S. and the trips they were about to take to China when they were arrested were planned for the purpose of visiting relatives, not escaping prosecution.

"The government's argument that Mr. Zhang poses a flight risk because he is a Chinese citizen is insufficient to warrant GPS monitoring," Olmos said in a filing. "Mr. Zhang has full-time employment, a new family, and no travel documents."

The cases are U.S. v. Chen, 19-cr-00056, and U.S. v. Zhang, 18-cr-00312, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Jose).

To contact the reporters on this story: Peter Blumberg in San Francisco at pblumberg1@bloomberg.net;Robert Burnson in San Francisco at rburnson@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Glovin at dglovin@bloomberg.net, Anthony Lin, Peter Blumberg

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

COMMENTS

More Related News

macOS 11.0 Big Sur preview
macOS 11.0 Big Sur preview

My earlier fears that it would fully surrender to the influence of iOS have thus far not come to fruition, but the iPhone's operating system continues to be the clearest indicator of future desktop updates. It's clear, of course, why one of Apple's OSes would borrow so liberally from another. One of the more unsung instances was the surprise reveal that the next version of macOS would be 11.0.

Microsoft
Microsoft's xCloud delayed on iOS as testing halted

Microsoft starting testing its Project xCloud game streaming service on iOS with some fanfare, but the future of the project is now unclear. While Microsoft is preparing to launch the Android version, it has ended its public trial on iOS early, with the app no longer available.

4 High-Quality S&P Stocks With High 6-Month Total Returns
4 High-Quality S&P Stocks With High 6-Month Total Returns

Stocks with high strength and profitability that have gained more than 30% over the past 6 months Continue reading...

Virginia touts nation
Virginia touts nation's first contact tracing app with Apple-Google tech
  • US
  • 2020-08-05 19:27:14Z

Virginia on Wednesday launched the first contact tracing app for the novel coronavirus in the United States that uses new technology from Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc's Google . Phones with the app exchange Bluetooth signals to keep an anonymous list of close encounters. At least three more states are nearing the launch of similar apps, aiming to ease the burden on underfunded manual contact tracing teams.

Hezbollah Will Not Escape Blame For Beirut
Hezbollah Will Not Escape Blame For Beirut
  • World
  • 2020-08-05 11:50:00Z

(Bloomberg Opinion) -- As if the Lebanese haven't suffered enough. For months, they have been caught between an economic meltdown, crumbling public services, and a surging pandemic. Now they must count the dead and survey the extensive damage to their capital after two giant explosions on Tuesday.The blasts, especially the second, were so huge they were reportedly heard and felt in Cyprus. At least 100 people are reported to have been killed-that number will almost certainly rise-and thousands injured. A large expanse of the port and its immediate neighborhood lies in smoking ruin; miles away, streets are full of shattered glass.Prime Minister Hassan Diab's government says the explosions...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy