U.S.-led fight on ISIS have killed 352 civilians: Pentagon




  • In World
  • 2017-04-30 17:32:19Z
  • By Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least 352 civilians have been killed in U.S.-led strikes against Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria since the operation began in 2014, the U.S. military said in a statement on Sunday.

The Combined Joint Task Force, in its monthly assessment of civilian casualties from the U.S. coalition's operations against the militant group, said it was still assessing 42 reports of civilian deaths.

It added that 45 civilians were killed between November 2016 and March 2017. It reported 80 civilian deaths from August 2014 to the present that had not previously been announced. The report included 26 deaths from three separate strikes in March.

The military's official tally is far below those of other outside groups. Monitoring group Airwars said more than 3,000 civilians have been killed by coalition air strikes.

Included in Sunday's tally were 14 civilians killed by a strike in March that set off a secondary explosion, as well as 10 civilians who were killed in a strike on Islamic State headquarters the same month.

"We regret the unintentional loss of civilian lives ... and express our deepest sympathies to the families and others affected by these strikes," the Pentagon said in a statement.

(Reporting By Yasmeen Abutaleb; Editing by Andrew Hay)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Hezbollah says ready to pull forces from Iraq after IS defeat
Hezbollah says ready to pull forces from Iraq after IS defeat

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah said Monday he was prepared to pull his forces from Iraq, after the Islamic State group lost control over its last urban stronghold in the country. In a televised address on Monday evening, Nasrallah said the Lebanese movement had deployed "large numbers of our commanders and cadres" to Iraq to fight IS. Once that official declaration came, Hezbollah would reassess its presence in Iraq and may pull its members out.

After fall of last town, IS loses grip over Iraqis
After fall of last town, IS loses grip over Iraqis

Rawa (Iraq) (AFP) - "Islamic State - Euphrates Province" reads an abandoned sign covered by dust and sand in the Iraqi town of Rawa. A day after government forces ousted the Islamic State group from the last town it held in the country, the banner is now just a reminder of the vast "caliphate" the jihadists once ruled. Under the jihadists' rule the roughly 20,000 inhabitants of Rawa and the surrounding hamlets had to gather at a prefabricated building at the entrance to the town.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.