U.S. cancels $929 million in California high speed rail funds after appeal rejected




  • In US
  • 2019-05-16 20:46:18Z
  • By By David Shepardson
FILE PHOTO - California Governor Jerry Brown
FILE PHOTO - California Governor Jerry Brown's name and others are pictured on a railroad rail after a ceremony for the California High Speed Rail in Fresno, California January 6, 2015.  

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration said on Thursday it was formally cancelling $929 million in previously awarded funding for California's high-speed rail program after rejecting an appeal by the state.

The U.S. railway regulator, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), said on Thursday it had canceled the funding awarded in a 2010 agreement after it said the state had "repeatedly failed to comply" and "failed to make reasonable progress on the project."

In a statement, the FRA said it was still considering "all options" on seeking the return of $2.5 billion in federal funds the state has already received.

The decision is the latest salvo in an ongoing battle between the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump and California over a series of issues including immigration, vehicle emissions standards and internet policy.

The largest U.S. state has repeatedly sued the Trump administration and officials expect the state will sue over the rescinding of rail funding.

The Trump administration moved to end funding after California Governor Gavin Newsom said in February the state would scale back the planned $77.3 billion high-speed rail project after cost hikes, delays and management concerns, but would finish a smaller section.

In a statement on Thursday, Newsom called the action "illegal and a direct assault on California, our green infrastructure, and the thousands of Central Valley workers who are building this project."

He added "the Trump Administration is trying to exact political retribution on our state," and vowed to go to court to protect "California's money, appropriated by Congress."

The traffic-choked state had planned to build a 520-mile (837-km) system in the first phase that would allow trains to travel at up to 220 miles per hour (354 kph) from Los Angeles to San Francisco and begin full operations by 2033.

Newsom said in February the state would instead complete a 119-mile high-speed link between Merced and Bakersfield in the state's Central Valley.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, who overseas FRA, in February said California's drastically scaled back rail project "is a classic example of bait and switch... We have a right to ask for that $2.5 billion back as well."

The state said in March that ending funding "would cause massive disruption, dislocation, and waste, damaging the region and endangering the future of high-speed rail in California."

The Obama administration awarded California $3.5 billion in 2010 and California voters in 2008 approved nearly $10 billion in bond proceeds.

In March 2018, the state forecast project costs had jumped $13 billion to $77 billion and warned costs could be as much as $98.1 billion.

(Reporting by David Shepardson, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien and Marguerita Choy)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Turkey calls on Kurdish fighters to lay arms, vacate border
Turkey calls on Kurdish fighters to lay arms, vacate border
  • World
  • 2019-10-16 15:09:11Z

Russia said it was working to prevent a conflict between Turkish troops and Syrian government forces that have moved in to Kurdish-held areas in the northeast. The Kurdish administration invited the Syrian military in to shield it from the Turkish attack. A day ahead of a visit by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence to Ankara, tasked with negotiating out an end to the attack, the Kremlin said Erdogan had accepted an invitation by Russian President Vladimir Putin to visit Russia "in coming days" to discuss Syria.

Impeachment inquiry: Vice President Mike Pence refuses to turn over requested documents
Impeachment inquiry: Vice President Mike Pence refuses to turn over requested documents

Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday refused to turn over documents requested by House Democrats as part of their impeachment inquiry.

Trump Suspects a Spiteful John Bolton Is Behind Some of the Ukraine Leaks
Trump Suspects a Spiteful John Bolton Is Behind Some of the Ukraine Leaks

Photo Illustration by Lyne Lucien/The Daily Beast/GettyAt a critical juncture in his presidency, facing a rapidly unfolding impeachment inquiry by House Democrats, Donald Trump is feeling besieged by snitches.In recent weeks, numerous leaks have appeared in the pages of The Washington Post, The New York

Democrats, Republicans to seek reversal of Trump Syria pullback: Pelosi
Democrats, Republicans to seek reversal of Trump Syria pullback: Pelosi

The top congressional Democrat said Monday she had agreed with Republicans on the need for a resolution to overturn Donald Trump's "dangerous" troop withdrawal from northern Syria, as the US president threatened tough sanctions against Ankara. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also said congressional

Fictitious Video of President Shooting Critics and Media Shown at His Resort
Fictitious Video of President Shooting Critics and Media Shown at His Resort

WASHINGTON -- A video depicting a macabre scene of a fake President Donald Trump shooting, stabbing and brutally assaulting members of the news media and his political opponents was shown at a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort last week, according to footage obtained by The New York Times.Several

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.