U.S. attorneys summoned to court to account for separated families




  • In US
  • 2018-07-20 10:14:41Z
  • By Reuters

(Reuters) - Attorneys for the U.S. government were due in court on Friday to update a federal judge on efforts to reunite some 2,500 immigrant children separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border as part of a crackdown on illegal immigration.

The government has six more days to comply with the reunification order by U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw, who summoned the government attorneys to appear in his San Diego courtroom to account for progress made in bringing families back together.

Lawyers for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement reported in a court filing late on Thursday that 364 of some 2,500 families with children aged 5 and older have been reunited since Sabraw's order was issued more than three weeks ago.

It was unclear from the status report, filed as part of an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit challenging parent-child separations at the border, exactly how many more reunifications were likely before the July 26 deadline.

Nearly 850 parents have been interviewed and cleared for reunification so far but another 229 parents have been deemed ineligible because of criminal records, or because they "waived" reunification or for other reasons, the report said. The rest are pending review.

The report also said more than 700 parents in question have final deportation orders, although Sabraw has barred the expulsion of those parents until at least a week after they regain their children so they have adequate time for legal counsel on their families' best options.

Children were seized from their parents by U.S. officials at the border as part of a broader "zero tolerance" crackdown on illegal immigration by the administration of President Donald Trump, sparking an international outcry. The president ordered the practice stopped on June 20.

Sabraw has used recent hearings to push back on procedures that the government attorneys have said are meant to safeguard children in its custody, such as criminal checks of parents and DNA tests to ensure family relations.

The government blamed those measures for missing a July 10 deadline to reunite children under age 5, although the administration said they have now all since been returned to their parents.

The judge has accused the government of either acting in defiance of his order or lacking the resources to fix the mess it created.

Sabraw said at a hearing on Monday he was reassured that the government was finally putting the emphasis on reuniting families over lengthy procedures aimed at combating human trafficking that the judge said did not apply.

He may press the government about comments on Thursday by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen suggesting she might differ on the emphasis placed on speedy reunifications, saying "we will not cut corners."

(Reporting by Tom Hals; Editing by Paul Tait)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Czech PM, to avoid conflict of interest, steps down from government body
Czech PM, to avoid conflict of interest, steps down from government body

Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis said on Monday he would step down from a government council dealing with European Union subsidies to avert any suspicion of conflict of interest over funds for his former business group. Babis put the group into trusts in 2017. The European Parliament called on the European Commission on Thursday to suspend EU funding to Agrofert until a full investigation into the suspected conflict of interest had been carried out.

Brexit pressure rises, but UK government says no to second vote
Brexit pressure rises, but UK government says no to second vote

Britain's government is not preparing for a second referendum on Brexit, ministers said on Sunday, sticking to the script that Prime Minister Theresa May's deal could still pass through parliament with a few changes. May delayed a vote last week on her agreement to leave the European Union because

British government is not planning for second Brexit vote: minister
British government is not planning for second Brexit vote: minister
  • World
  • 2018-12-16 09:41:00Z

British education minister Damian Hinds said on Sunday the government was not planning for a second referendum, denying reports that ministers were looking at such a vote to break the deadlock over Brexit. Asked if the government was preparing for a vote, Hinds told Sky News: "No, a second referendum would be divisive.

Sri Lanka PM Rajapaksa resigns amid government shut down fears
Sri Lanka PM Rajapaksa resigns amid government shut down fears
  • World
  • 2018-12-15 10:26:54Z

Credit rating agencies Fitch and Standard & Poor's have downgraded Sri Lanka, citing refinancing risks and an uncertain policy outlook.     Earlier this week, the island nation's parliament passed a vote of confidence in favor of Wickremesinghe, as it sought his reinstatement as prime minister

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.