U.N. sends troops to halt bout of ethnic violence in South Sudan




  • In US
  • 2019-12-03 14:33:53Z
  • By Reuters

JUBA, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The United Nations has sent a contingent of peacekeepers to an area of central South Sudan where about 80 people have been killed in a bout of fighting between two ethnic communities, the the U.N. and a local official said on Tuesday.

The violence beween the Gak and Manuer communities broke out on Nov. 27 and it has lasted for days, said Benjamin Laat, information minister for Western Lakes state.

"It was a revenge killing when one of the Manuer was killed by the guys from Gak. The government intervened," Laat said.

The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said in a statement that Nepalese troops serving with the peacekeeping force had been sent to the area following reports from local authorities that as many as 79 people have been killed and 101 injured in a series of clashes in Western Lakes.

Oil-producing South Sudan, which became an independent country in 2011, plunged into civil war in 2013 after President Salva Kiir sacked former rebel leader Riek Machar as vice president.

After a five-year conflict, Kiir and Machar signed a peace deal in September 2018 but they are still struggling to form a unity government.

The conflict killed an estimated 400,000 people, triggered a famine and created Africa's biggest refugee crisis since the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

(Reporting by Denis Dumo, Writing by Duncan Miriri, Editing by Angus MacSwan)

COMMENTS

More Related News

UN to vote on one-year extension of cross-border aid to Syria
UN to vote on one-year extension of cross-border aid to Syria

The UN Security Council is expected to vote again Saturday on extending for one year its program of cross-border humanitarian aid to Syria, after Russia and China vetoed a previous measure supported by Western member states. Authorization for the continued transport of aid to war-torn Syria, a system in place since 2014, expired Friday after Moscow and Beijing used their veto power and the Council then rejected a counterproposal from Russia.

Pompeo slams UN report on deadly US drone strike on Iranian
Pompeo slams UN report on deadly US drone strike on Iranian
  • World
  • 2020-07-10 14:41:48Z

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has criticized an independent U.N. human rights expert's report insisting a American drone strike that killed a top Iranian general in January was a "watershed" event in the use of drones and amounted to a violation of international law. The report presented by Agnes Callamard to the U.N.-backed Human Rights Council on Thursday chronicled events around the death of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani and the legal implications of his killing as part of a broader look on the use of drone strikes.

Russia and West in showdown over aid to Syria
Russia and West in showdown over aid to Syria's rebel area
  • US
  • 2020-07-10 06:38:23Z

Russia and the West are in a showdown over continuing the delivery of humanitarian aid to Syria's mainly rebel-held northwest after the current U.N. mandate expires on Friday. Germany and Belgium on Thursday called for a vote on a draft resolution that would maintain the two border crossings from Turkey to the northwest for six months - a position supported by the U.N. secretary-general, U.N. humanitarian chief, and many aid organizations.

UN says Latin America and Caribbean are COVID-19 `hot spot
UN says Latin America and Caribbean are COVID-19 `hot spot'
  • World
  • 2020-07-09 23:29:54Z

Latin America and the Caribbean have become "a hot spot" for the COVID-19 pandemic, with several countries now having one of the highest per capita infection rates and absolute number of cases in the world, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Thursday. The U.N. chief said in a video and briefing report that a 9.1% contraction in GDP is expected this year in the region, which would be the "largest in a century." "COVID-19 represents a massive health, social and economic shock with an immense human toll for the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean," the report said.

Fear of disaster if UN cuts aid entering rebel-held Syria
Fear of disaster if UN cuts aid entering rebel-held Syria
  • World
  • 2020-07-09 17:18:46Z

In Syria's opposition-held enclave, a new kind of panic is setting in. Already living in fear of frequent government attacks, the nearly 3 million people crowded into the country's northwest corner now risk losing vital aid as Russia threatens to shut down border crossings with Turkey. Residents and aid groups say partially or totally shutting down two border crossings through which U.N. aid is brought may cost lives and will increase poverty, disease and unrest in the opposition-held parts of Idlib and Aleppo provinces.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US