Turkish-US ground patrols of Syria safe zone to start Sunday




  • In World
  • 2019-09-06 15:16:24Z
  • By Associated Press
Syria Kurds
Syria Kurds  

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey's defense minister says Turkish and U.S. troops will begin joint ground patrols of a planned so-called safe zone in northern Syria on Sunday.

Hulusi Akar made the comments to reporters on Friday.

Turkey has been pressing for the creation of a safe zone that would keep U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish fighters, considered terrorists by Turkey, away from its border. Turkey also says some Syrian refugees could be resettled in the zone.

Turkey and the U.S. have carried out joint helicopter patrols.

On Thursday, Turkey warned that it could "open its gates" and allow Syrian refugees in the country to move toward Western countries if a safe zone is not created and Turkey is left to shoulder the refugee burden alone. Turkey hosts 3.6 million refugees from Syria.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Turkey says 2 Turkish soldiers killed in Libya
Turkey says 2 Turkish soldiers killed in Libya
  • World
  • 2020-02-25 09:33:19Z

Two Turkish soldiers have been killed in fighting in Libya, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday as he also defended Ankara's move to also send Syrian opposition fighters to the North African country. Erdogan's remarks followed reports that as many as 16 Turkish soldiers may have been killed in the fighting in Libya since last April, reports that the Turkish leader did not address.

Turkey, Russia to hold more talks to reduce Syria tensions
Turkey, Russia to hold more talks to reduce Syria tensions
  • World
  • 2020-02-25 08:23:59Z

Turkey's president announced Tuesday that a Russian delegation would arrive the following day to resume talks aimed at easing tensions in northwestern Syria. Moscow has so far not confirmed a March 5 visit by the Russian president to Turkey.

Turkey closes borders with Iran over coronavirus concerns
Turkey closes borders with Iran over coronavirus concerns
  • World
  • 2020-02-23 14:57:26Z

Turkey's health minister said the border with Iran would be closed from Sunday due to the number of coronavirus cases in its eastern neighbor. Fahrettin Koca said flights from Iran would also cease from 8 p.m. local time (1700 GMT). Iran's health ministry on Sunday has raised the death toll from the new coronavirus to eight, with 43 confirmed cases.

Eight dead in Turkey as 5.7 earthquake strikes western Iran
Eight dead in Turkey as 5.7 earthquake strikes western Iran
  • World
  • 2020-02-23 08:49:47Z

Eight people were killed in Turkey in a magnitude 5.7 earthquake that struck western Iran early Sunday morning, Turkish Interior Minister Suleiman Soylu said. Soylu told a news conference in Ankara that three children and four adults were killed in Turkey's Baskule district. Emergency teams have

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World