Turkish president: Saudis plotted writer's killing for days




  • In World
  • 2018-10-23 11:59:46Z
  • By SUZAN FRASER, ZEYNEP BILGINSOY and CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA
 

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Saudi officials murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi in their Istanbul consulate after plotting his death for days, Turkey's president said Tuesday, contradicting Saudi Arabia's explanation that the writer was accidentally killed. He demanded that the kingdom reveal the identities of all involved, regardless of rank.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also said he wants Saudi Arabia to allow 18 suspects that it detained for the Saudi's killing to be tried in Turkish courts, setting up further complications with the Saudi government, which has said it is conducting its own investigation and will punish those involved. Saudi Arabia has described the suspects as rogue operators, even though officials linked to Saudi Arabia's assertive Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have been implicated in the killing.

"To blame such an incident on a handful of security and intelligence members would not satisfy us or the international community," Erdogan said in a speech to ruling party lawmakers in parliament.

"Saudi Arabia has taken an important step by admitting the murder. As of now we expect of them to openly bring to light those responsible - from the highest ranked to the lowest - and to bring them to justice," said the Turkish president, who used the word "murder" 15 times in his speech.

Erdogan's speech was previously pitched as revealing the "naked truth" about Khashoggi's slaying. Instead, it served merely to put a named source to information already circulated by anonymous officials and the Turkish press in the days since the columnist for The Washington Post walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Erdogan didn't mention Prince Mohammed by name in his speech. However, he kept pressure on the kingdom with his demands for Turkish prosecution of the suspects as well as punishment for the plot's masterminds.

"All evidence gathered shows that Jamal Khashoggi was the victim of a savage murder. To cover up such a savagery would hurt the human conscience," he said.

Erdogan mentioned information that was earlier leaked by Turkish sources, including reports of 15 Saudi officials arriving in private jets shortly before Khashoggi's death as well as a man, apparently dressed in the writer's clothes, acting as a possible decoy by walking out of the consulate on the day of the disappearance.

"Why did these 15 people all with links to the event gather in Istanbul on the day of the murder? We are seeking answers. Who did these people get their orders from to go there? We are seeking answers," Erdogan said. "When the murder is so clear, why were so many inconsistent statements made? Why is the body of a person who has officially been accepted as killed still not around?"

International skepticism intensified after Saudi Arabia said on Saturday that Khashoggi died in a brawl. The case has shocked the world and raised suspicions that a Saudi hit squad planned Khashoggi's killing after he walked into the consulate on Oct. 2, and then attempted to cover it up.

Before Erdogan's announcement, top Turkish officials said Turkey would clarify exactly what happened to Khashoggi as pressure increased on Saudi Arabia, which is hosting a glitzy investment conference this week that many dignitaries have decided to skip because of the scandal.

"As we all know these are difficult days for us in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia," Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih told attendees seated in an ornate hall during the opening of the conference in Riyadh.

"Nobody in the kingdom can justify it or explain it. From the leadership on down, we're very upset of what has happened," Al-Falih said

Saudi Arabia said it arrested suspects and that several top intelligence officials were fired over Khashoggi's killing, but critics alleged that the punishment was designed to absolve Prince Mohammed, the heir-apparent of the world's top oil exporter, of any responsibility. Any major decision must be signed off by the highest powers within its ruling Al Saud family.

On Monday, leaked surveillance video showed a man strolling out of the diplomatic post hours after Khashoggi disappeared into the consulate, apparently wearing the columnist's clothes as part of a macabre deception to sow confusion over his fate.

The new video broadcast by CNN, as well as a pro-government Turkish newspaper's report that a member of Prince Mohammed's entourage made four calls to the royal's office from the consulate around the same time, put more pressure on the kingdom. Meanwhile, Turkish crime-scene investigators swarmed a garage Monday night in Istanbul where a Saudi consular vehicle had been parked.

Saudi Arabia's foreign minister, meanwhile, said Tuesday the investigation into the killing of Khashoggi would produce the truth about what happened and that his country was committed to ensuring "that the investigation is thorough and complete and that the truth is revealed and that those responsible will be held to account."

Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, in Indonesia, also pledged that mechanisms will be put in place so that "something like this can never happen again."

___

Associated Press writers Aya Batrawy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and Jon Gambrell in Dubai, United Arab Em

COMMENTS

More Related News

Turkey will enter Syria
Turkey will enter Syria's Manbij if U.S. doesn't remove YPG fighters, Erdogan says
  • World
  • 2018-12-14 11:38:52Z

Turkish forces will enter the Syrian town of Manbij if the United States does not remove YPG Kurdish fighters, and it will also target Kurdish-controlled areas further east, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday. Erdogan said this week that Turkey would launch a new operation within days against the U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish YPG militia which controls swathes of Syria's northern border region, in what will be Turkey's third military campaign in Syria in two years.

Senate rebukes Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi, Yemen war
Senate rebukes Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi, Yemen war

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senators voted Thursday to recommend that the U.S. end its assistance to Saudi Arabia for the war in Yemen and put the blame for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi squarely on Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, in a direct challenge to both the longtime Middle East ally and President Donald Trump's handling of the relationship.

Saudi Arabia to Target U.S. With Sharp Oil Export Cut, Sources Say
Saudi Arabia to Target U.S. With Sharp Oil Export Cut, Sources Say

American-based oil refiners have been told to expect much lower shipments from the kingdom in January than in recent months following the OPEC agreement to reduce production, according to people briefed on the plans of state oil company Saudi Aramco. Saudi crude shipments to the U.S. next month could

Pompeo says CIA still investigating killing of Khashoggi
Pompeo says CIA still investigating killing of Khashoggi
  • World
  • 2018-12-12 18:10:02Z

Pompeo repeated his assertion that there was no direct evidence linking Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the Oct. 2 murder of Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, despite a CIA assessment it was likely he ordered the killing. CIA Director Gina Haspel briefed leaders of the House

Turkey says it will launch new Syria offensive within days
Turkey says it will launch new Syria offensive within days

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey will launch a new military operation against U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters in Syria "within a few days," President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday, a move likely to further strain ties between NATO allies Turkey and the United States.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.