Turkey may be 'responsible' for executions of Kurds in Syria: UN




Turkey may be \
Turkey may be \'responsible\' for executions of Kurds in Syria: UN  

Geneva (AFP) - The UN warned Tuesday that reported summary executions of civilians in northeastern Syria carried out by pro-Turkish fighters could amount to a "war crime" and that Ankara could be "deemed responsible".

The Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces said over the weekend that at least nine civilians were "executed" as part of Turkey's incursion into northeastern Syria, which began nearly a week ago.

Among them was 35-year-old Hevrin Khalaf, the secretary-general of the Future Syria Party, who according to the forces was taken out of her car and killed by Turkish-allied Syrian fighters.

The UN rights office said its staff had viewed two separate pieces of video footage "showing what appear to be summary executions carried out by fighters belonging to the Ahrar al-Sharqiya armed group, which is affiliated with Turkey, on 12 October."

Spokesman Rupert Colville said the footage, which has been widely shared on social media, appeared "to show the fighters filming themselves capturing and executing three Kurdish captives" on a main highway.

"Only one of the captives appeared to be wearing military uniform," he told reporters in Geneva, adding that the office had also received reports of Khalaf's execution the same day "on the same highway".

He said the UN was working to verify the footage and confirm the details of the events, but stressed that under international law, "summary executions are serious violations, and may amount to a war crime."

He warned that "Turkey could be deemed responsible as a state for violations committed by their affiliated armed groups, as long as Turkey exercises effective control over these groups, or the operations in the course of which those violations occurred."

Colville called on Ankara "to immediately launch an impartial, transparent and independent investigation into both incidents."

Turkey, he said, must also "apprehend those responsible, some of whom should be easily identifiable from the video footage they themselves shared on social media."

Since the Turkish offensive began last Wednesday, Colville said that the UN rights office had been able to verify a number of civilian deaths each day in northeastern Syria due to "airstrikes, ground-based strikes and sniper fire."

He pointed in particular to an airstrike that hit a convoy of vehicles on Sunday, which reportedly killed "at least four civilians, including two journalists" and injured dozens of others.

He said the UN was "appalled" by a number of attacks on medical facilities in the region.

As of Monday, he said the UN had received reports of five facilities hit -- all of them allegedly by airstrikes or ground-based strikes carried out by Turkish forces and their allies.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Mediterranean Oil Tensions Are Boiling Over
Mediterranean Oil Tensions Are Boiling Over

It's a direct provocation that has Greece infuriated, Turkey's state-run oil and gas company has been given licenses from the Turkish government to explore for oil and gas in waters just off Greek islands

Egypt announces initiative to end war in Libya
Egypt announces initiative to end war in Libya
  • World
  • 2020-06-06 12:07:36Z

Egypt's president Saturday announced a unilateral initiative to end the civil war in neighboring Libya, a plan accepted by the commander of the eastern forces that have suffered heavy losses in recent weeks. President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi told a news conference in Cairo that his initiative includes a cease-fire starting Monday and is meant to pave the way for elections in oil-rich Libya. "There can be no stability in Libya unless peaceful means to the crisis are found that include the unity and integrity of the national institutions," el-Sissi said.

Erdogan backtracks on weekend lockdown after public backlash
Erdogan backtracks on weekend lockdown after public backlash

Turkey had also introduced weekend lockdowns across big cities on April 11. In a series of tweets, Erdogan said on Friday the government had to stick to the lockdown after a rise in daily new COVID-19 cases from around 700 to nearly 1,000. "As a result of this negative development, we had to once again bring the stay-at-home order on our agenda," Erdogan said.

Turkey strips 3 legislators of seats, setting off protest
Turkey strips 3 legislators of seats, setting off protest
  • US
  • 2020-06-04 14:54:04Z

Turkey's parliament on Thursday stripped three opposition party deputies of their legislative seats, setting off a raucous protest inside the assembly hall by colleagues who accused the ruling party of an assault on democracy. Deputy speaker Sureyya Sadi Bilgic read out appeals court decisions confirming the legislators' convictions, a process that automatically leads to the deputies' losing their legal immunity and parliamentary seats.

Turkey Accuses Syrian Kurds of Fomenting Antifa Attacks on U.S. Soil
Turkey Accuses Syrian Kurds of Fomenting Antifa Attacks on U.S. Soil

The Turkish government attempted to tie Kurdish militants to recent unrest in the United States over the killing of unarmed African-American citizen George Floyd.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America