Turkey begins mobilizing against Syria; US to remove forces from area




  • In Politics
  • 2019-10-07 04:05:00Z
  • By MARK OSBORNE
 

Turkey begins mobilizing against Syria; US to remove forces from area originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Turkey is set to invade Syria, as the country had been threatening in recent months, with the U.S. saying it will remove all of its forces from the "immediate area," according to the White House.

The move is likely to put the Kurdish forces that helped the U.S. defeat ISIS in peril. Turkey considers the Kurdish forces -- the PKK and YPG -- terrorist organizations.

The news came late Sunday after President Donald Trump spoke to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan by phone earlier in the day.

(MORE: US, Turkey agree to deal on Syria safe zone for refugees as new report warns of ISIS resurgence)

"Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria," the White House said in a statement late Sunday. "The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial 'Caliphate,' will no longer be in the immediate area."

The White House also confirmed that Turkey will take possession of all captured ISIS fighters from the past two years.

"The United States Government has pressed France, Germany, and other European nations, from which many captured ISIS fighters came, to take them back, but they did not want them and refused," the U.S. said in it statement. "The United States will not hold them for what could be many years and great cost to the United States taxpayer."

Trump and Erdogan agreed to meet at the White House in November, Turkish state media reported, though the White House did not mention that in its statement.

(MORE: US urges Turkey to halt announced offensive into Syria that threatens US allies and ISIS jails)

Negotiators from the U.S. and Turkey had reached an agreement Aug. 7 to create a safe zone in northeastern Syria in order to secure the territory once held by the Islamic State.

The deal came after Erdogan had threatened to take up an offensive against the U.S.-backed Kurdish forces that had helped eliminate ISIS.

But the agreement was only a stopgap with Erdogan repeating those calls in recent weeks.

It's unclear if the U.S. will remove forces from Syria entirely, or what the "immediate area" might encompass.

ABC News' Conor Finnegan and Elizabeth McLaughlin contributed to this report.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Fauci: Hydroxychloroquine not effective against coronavirus
Fauci: Hydroxychloroquine not effective against coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci's comments come days after a 96,000-patient observational study concluded new findings about hydroxychloroquine.

Kathy Griffin Gets Backlash for Tweet About Giving Trump Syringe Filled With Air
Kathy Griffin Gets Backlash for Tweet About Giving Trump Syringe Filled With Air

Comedian Kathy Griffin has once again stirred up controversy with a tweet about President Trump. Griffin's name became trending on Twitter on Tuesday night after she tweeted about stabbing the president with a syringe full of air. Her post was in response to a tweet from CNN's chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta, who wrote […]

Inside the Dizzying Effort to Pitch Trump to Black Voters
Inside the Dizzying Effort to Pitch Trump to Black Voters

WASHINGTON -- Nearly every week this spring, President Donald Trump's reelection team has held one of the most peculiar events of the 2020 online campaign: "Black Voices for Trump Real Talk." It is a dizzying effort by Trump's black advisers to put their spin on his record -- often with a hall-of-mirrors quality, as they push false claims about opponents while boosting a president who retweets racist material.The most recent session, on Saturday night, was one of the most head-spinning yet. For an hour on a livestream, three black Republicans tried to portray former Vice President Joe Biden as a racist, while ignoring decades of racially divisive behavior by Trump, from his remarks on the...

Trump warns he may move Republican convention site from NC
Trump warns he may move Republican convention site from NC
  • US
  • 2020-05-25 13:39:18Z

U.S. President Donald Trump warned on Monday that he may move the Republican National Convention from North Carolina set for August if the event faces state social distancing restrictions as a result of the coronavirus. The coronavirus pandemic has forced Trump and presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden to halt campaign rallies. Trump said on Twitter that if Democratic Governor Roy Cooper does not immediately answer "whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied," then the party will find "with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site."

Trump Tweets and Golfs, but Makes No Mention of Virus
Trump Tweets and Golfs, but Makes No Mention of Virus's Toll

WASHINGTON -- As President Donald Trump's motorcade pulled into his golf club in Virginia on an overcast Sunday, a small group of protesters waited outside the entrance. One held up a sign."I care do U?" it read. "100,000 dead."Trump and his advisers have said that he does, but he has made scant effort to demonstrate it this Memorial Day weekend. He finally ordered flags lowered to half-staff at the White House only after being badgered to do so by his critics and otherwise took no public notice as the American death toll from the coronavirus pandemic approached a staggering 100,000.While the country neared six digits of death, the president who repeatedly criticized his predecessor for...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Politics