Trump Wants To End Hurricane Maria Relief Funding To Puerto Rico: Report




Trump Wants To End Hurricane Maria Relief Funding To Puerto Rico: Report
Trump Wants To End Hurricane Maria Relief Funding To Puerto Rico: Report  

President Donald Trump wants to stop sending federal relief money to Puerto Rico, an American territory, following last year's devastating Hurricane Maria, according to a report Sunday in Axios.

Trump reportedly believes, without evidence, that the Puerto Rican government has been mishandling the relief funding and using it to pay off debt, according to the outlet's Jonathan Swan. The president made that conclusion after misreading an article in The Wall Street Journal last month, Swan reports, and told Congressional leaders that he "doesn't want to include additional Puerto Rico funding in further spending bills."

There is no evidence that the territory has not been using any of its relief funds to pay off debt obligations, and the island's leadership has actually argued against doing so, according to The Washington Post. Trump first alluded to his frustrations with the relief funds last month, saying "inept politicians" were attempting to use the "ridiculously high amounts of hurricane/disaster funding to pay off other obligations."

Puerto Rico is still recovering from the devastation left by Maria in late 2017. The island's government revised death tolls from the storm up to 2,975 in August, numbers that Trump himself has denied multiple times on Twitter.

More than $6 billion has been allocated to help aid storm recovery, but hundreds of thousands of people are still waiting for help, living in homes that are in desperate need of repair, according to The New York Times. The island's leadership has said it needs billions more to rebuild, and in February said that it would cost at least $17 billion just to fix its beleaguered power grid.

Swan reported Sunday that Trump has even proposed demanding some of the money already allocated to relief back.

The president has regularly lashed out at the Puerto Rican government throughout the crisis, and even suggested that the storm's impact wasn't a "real catastrophe" like 2005′s Hurricane Katrina. After Trump's latest attempts to downplay the death toll, Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló lambasted the White House and said that the "victims and the people of Puerto Rico do not deserve to have their pain questioned."

"The people of Puerto Rico deserve a full accounting of the impact of the storm, and they deserve recognition of that impact by our president," Rosselló wrote. "It is not time to deny what happened. It is time to make sure that it does not happen again."

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency
White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency

A top adviser to President Donald Trump indicated Sunday that Trump is prepared to issue the first veto of his term if Congress votes to disapprove of his declaration of a national emergency along the U.S.-Mexico border. The West Wing is digging in for fights on multiple fronts as the president'

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.