Trump To Host Ramadan Dinner After Ditching Tradition Last Year: Reports




 

President Donald Trump will reportedly host his first presidential dinner honoring the Muslim holy month of Ramadan after breaking the White House's decadeslong tradition last year.

The iftar dinner, which is a meal Muslims take at sunset after a day of fasting during Ramadan, is scheduled for Wednesday, The New York Times and Politico both reported on Saturday.

Details, including who will attend the meal, were not released. The dinner is typically hosted by the president and first lady. Trump's wife, Melania Trump, has not been seen publicly since May 10, leading to speculation on her whereabouts ― though a tweet from the first lady's account Wednesday said she is at the White House.

Trump, in a statement last month, sent his "greetings and best wishes to all Muslims observing Ramadan in the United States and around the world."

"Ramadan reminds us of the richness Muslims add to the religious tapestry of American life. In the United States, we are all blessed to live under a Constitution that fosters religious liberty and respects religious practice," the statement said.

Trump faced criticism last year after choosing not to host the dinner. Previous presidents, including Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama, hosted the dinner.

Trump and his wife last year instead released statements that acknowledged the religious days. One, released at the start of Ramadan, highlighted terrorist attacks overseas and America's "resolve to defeat the terrorists and their perverted ideology." That statement, which sparked public backlash, appears to have since been removed from the White House's website.

A second statement, released at the end of Ramadan, took a more positive approach.

"During this holiday, we are reminded of the importance of mercy, compassion, and goodwill. With Muslims around the world, the United States renews our commitment to honor these values," that statement said.

Trump has had a fraught relationship with the Muslim community.

In addition to enacting a series of travel bans that targeted mostly Muslim nations, Trump before his inauguration said he'd consider surveilling and closing down mosques in the U.S. to fight terrorism, as well as creating a national database for Muslims in the U.S. He also falsely suggested that Obama is secretly a Muslim.

COMMENTS

More Related News

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Alec Baldwin: Trump
Alec Baldwin: Trump's 'SNL' Attack May Be 'A Threat To My Safety'

"The actor known for portraying Trump on the comedy show raised the questionSunday night

Booker holds back on questions about
Booker holds back on questions about 'Empire' actor attack

Democratic presidential candidates spent Sunday courting voters in states with influential early roles in the 2020 primary, their busy pace of holiday weekend campaigning demonstrating that the contest to challenge President Donald Trump is fully underway.

Ex-FBI official:
Ex-FBI official: 'Crime may have been committed' by Trump

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said in an interview that aired Sunday that a "crime may have been committed" when President Donald Trump fired the head of the FBI and tried to publicly undermine an investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia. McCabe also said in the interview

White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency
White House indicates Trump to veto disapproval of emergency

A top adviser to President Donald Trump indicated Sunday that Trump is prepared to issue the first veto of his term if Congress votes to disapprove of his declaration of a national emergency along the U.S.-Mexico border. The West Wing is digging in for fights on multiple fronts as the president'

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Style

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.