Trump Says He Scrapped London Trip Over Obama's Embassy Deal




President Donald Trump said he wouldn't visit London next month to open a new U.S. embassy because his predecessor, Barack Obama, made a "bad deal" selling the previous site.

"Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts,' only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars," Trump said on Twitter. "Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"

Trump's move was reported late Thursday by British media. The Guardian newspaper said he decided not to come amid fears of mass protests, and would instead send Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to open the embassy. The BBC said Downing Street has declined to comment on the move, but was considering options for state visit later in the year.

Relations between the U.S. and its closest ally have been repeatedly strained since last January, when Trump took office and U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May became the first foreign leader to meet him at the White House. May's invitation for Trump to visit the Queen has faced growing opposition, fueled in part by the president's Twitter criticism of London Mayor Sadiq Khan and retweets of propaganda from a far-right British anti-Muslim group.

May told the BBC earlier this month that Trump would be making a visit to Britain, without giving a time frame.

The new site had been scheduled to open during Obama's term, but delays pushed back its formal opening until this year. The State Department agreed to sell the existing embassy building on Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, to Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Co. in 2009 to fund the relocation. The investors have sought approval to turn the building into a hotel, according to the project's website.

Read Trump Says He Scrapped London Trip Over Obama's Embassy Deal on bloombergpolitics.com

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pressure turns to Mexico as migrant caravan heads for border
Pressure turns to Mexico as migrant caravan heads for border
  • World
  • 2018-10-18 23:41:59Z

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) - As some 3,000 Hondurans made their way through Guatemala, attention turned to Mexico, after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened Thursday to close the U.S.-Mexico border if authorities there fail to stop them - a nearly unthinkable move that would disrupt hundreds of thousands

Kelly, Bolton Get in Profane Shouting Match Outside the Oval Office
Kelly, Bolton Get in Profane Shouting Match Outside the Oval Office

The chief of staff, John Kelly, and the national security adviser, John Bolton, fought over immigration and border crossings, including the performance of the Homeland Security Department under Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, one person familiar with the matter said.

Trump Threatens To Order Military To 'Close Our Southern Border' Over Immigration
Trump Threatens To Order Military To 'Close Our Southern Border' Over Immigration

President Donald Trump on Thursday threatened to shut the U.S.-Mexico border,

Trailing in polls, O
Trailing in polls, O'Rourke lays into Cruz in Texas debate

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Democrat Beto O'Rourke abandoned his usual message of unity and optimism and laid into Ted Cruz, hoping to reverse polls that show him fading against the Republican incumbent during the second debate of a Texas Senate race that has become one of the nation's most closely watched

Trump tells AP he won
Trump tells AP he won't accept blame if GOP loses House

WASHINGTON (AP) - Facing the prospect of bruising electoral defeat in congressional elections, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he won't accept the blame if his party loses control of the House in November, arguing his campaigning and endorsements have helped Republican candidates.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.