Trump says he answered written questions in Mueller probe




  • In World/Latin America
  • 2018-11-16 18:16:47Z
  • By Jonathan Lemire and Catherine Lucey, Associated Press
 

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump said Friday that he has answered written questions from special counsel Robert Mueller but hasn't yet submitted them.

Trump told reporters in the Oval Office that he answered the questions "very easily" this week about the special counsel's ongoing probe into 2016 election interference and possible ties between Russia and the president's campaign.

"You have to always be careful when you answer questions with people that probably have bad intentions," said Trump in his latest swipe at the integrity of the probe. "But no, the questions were very routinely answered by me."

The president did not say when he would turn over the answers to Mueller. The special counsel had signaled a willingness to accept written answers on matters of collusion but Trump's attorney, Rudy Giuliani, has said repeatedly that president would not answer Mueller's questions on possible obstruction of justice.

Trump had huddled with lawyers at the White House this week but made clear: "My lawyers don't write answers, I write answers."

The president continued to maintain his innocence while launching a fresh round of attacks on the probe, saying "there should have never been any Mueller investigation" while claiming it was a waste of millions of dollars.

But he denied being "agitated" by the probe despite his outburst of critical tweets the day before.

"The inner workings of the Mueller investigation are a total mess," Trump tweeted Thursday as part of a series of overheated morning posts. The investigators don't care "how many lives they can ruin," he wrote.

While the special counsel was publicly quiet in the run-up to last week's midterm elections, his investigation has suddenly returned to the forefront of Washington conversation and cable news chyrons.

Rumors are reverberating that Mueller may be preparing more indictments and there has been widespread media coverage of two Trump allies - Roger Stone and Jerome Corsi - who say they expect to be charged.

Trump's flurry of attacks came despite repeated warnings from his aides to refrain from targeting the special counsel.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump downplays North Korean missile tests
Trump downplays North Korean missile tests

TOKYO (AP) - In an apparent contradiction of his national security adviser, President Donald Trump on Sunday downplayed recent North Korean missile tests, tweeting from Tokyo that they're not a concern for him - even though they are for Japan.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump and a tale of 2 sheets of paper
AP FACT CHECK: Trump and a tale of 2 sheets of paper

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump held up and read from a sheet of paper in the Rose Garden this past week as he argued he's been hounded by investigators in the Russia probe for no reason. "Nearly 500 search warrants," says the page, from an ABC News graphic. "More than 2,500

Judge blocks Trump from building sections of border wall
Judge blocks Trump from building sections of border wall

A federal judge on Friday blocked President Donald Trump from building key sections of his border wall with money secured under his declaration of a national emergency, delivering what may prove a temporary setback on one of his highest priorities. U.S. District Judge Haywood Gilliam Jr.'s order

Trump orders intelligence community to cooperate with review on Russia probe origins
Trump orders intelligence community to cooperate with review on Russia probe origins
  • World
  • 2019-05-24 02:01:26Z

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday ordered the intelligence community to cooperate with Attorney General William Barr's review of the events that prompted an investigation into links between the Trump campaign and Russia. "Today, at the request and recommendation of the attorney general

American who joined the Taliban is released from prison
American who joined the Taliban is released from prison
  • World
  • 2019-05-23 20:57:31Z

John Walker Lindh, the Californian who took up arms for the Taliban and was captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan in 2001, got out of prison Thursday after more than 17 years, released under tight restrictions that reflected government fears he still harbors radical views.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.