Trump plan to offer citizenship to 1.8 million illegal immigrants: senior officials




  • In US
  • 2018-01-25 22:16:31Z
  • By Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is ready to sign on to a plan that would open a path to citizenship for as many as 1.8 million "Dreamers," who were brought illegally to the United States as children, senior White House officials said on Thursday.

Trump's plan, which the White House hopes the Senate will vote on in early February, would require Congress to set up a $25 billion "trust fund" to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico, and invest in better protections at the northern border with Canada.

It would also require Congress to limit family sponsorship of immigrants to spouses and minor children, end a visa lottery system for certain countries, and spend additional money on border guards and immigration judges - among other measures - the officials told reporters in a briefing.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Related Video:

Watch news, TV and more on Yahoo View.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Comey: Russia investigation initially looked at 4 Americans
Comey: Russia investigation initially looked at 4 Americans

The FBI's counterintelligence investigation into potential ties between the Trump campaign and Russia initially focused on four Americans and whether they were connected to Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, former FBI Director James Comey told lawmakers during hours

Comey faces off with GOP over Clinton emails, alleged bias
Comey faces off with GOP over Clinton emails, alleged bias

Former FBI Director James Comey spoke to House investigators behind closed doors for almost seven hours Friday, begrudgingly answering questions about the Justice Department's decisions during the 2016 presidential election. Comey, who appeared under subpoena, announced after the meeting that he

Mueller: ex-Trump campaign chairman Manafort lied to investigators about funds, contacts
Mueller: ex-Trump campaign chairman Manafort lied to investigators about funds, contacts
  • US
  • 2018-12-07 23:55:50Z

U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort lied to federal investigators about a payment and contacts with Trump administration officials, the U.S. special counsel investigating whether Trump's 2016 campaign colluded with Russia said in a court filing on Friday. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office submitted the filing to a U.S. District Court judge in Washington who had asked for more details on Mueller's allegations last month that Manafort had breached a plea agreement by lying.

Mueller
Mueller's filings on Trump ex-aides to shed new light on Russia probe

Mueller last month accused Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, of breaching a plea bargain agreement by lying to prosecutors, and he will submit information on those alleged lies in a filing to a federal court in Washington. The filing could shed new light on Manafort's business dealings or his consulting for pro-Kremlin interests in Ukraine. Manafort, who maintains he has been truthful with Mueller, managed Trump's campaign for three months in 2016.

Trump to pick State Department spokeswoman for U.N. ambassador: White House officials
Trump to pick State Department spokeswoman for U.N. ambassador: White House officials

Nauert, whose nomination would require Senate confirmation, is a former Fox News Channel correspondent and anchor. If confirmed, Nauert, 48, would succeed Nikki Haley, who said in October she would be leaving the U.N. post at the end of the year. It was unclear whether the U.N. ambassador post would

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.