Trump declares NKorea still poses "extraordinary threat"




  • In World
  • 2018-06-22 23:46:50Z
  • By MATTHEW PENNINGTON

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump declared Friday that North Korea still poses an "extraordinary threat" to the United States.

In an executive order, the president extended for one year the so-called "national emergency" with respect to the nuclear-armed nation, re-authorizing economic restrictions against it.

While expected, the declaration comes just nine days after Trump tweeted, "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea," following his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore.

The order appears to undermine the president's claim.

It states that "the existence and risk of proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material" and the actions and policies of the North Korean government "continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States."

The national emergency has been in place since 2008 and is a sign of the enduring tensions between the U.S. and North Korea that spiked last year as the North moved closed to perfecting a nuclear-tipped missile that could reach American soil, but ebbed with the June 12 summit where Kim agreed to "complete denuclearization" of the Korean Peninsula.

The two sides, however, still have to negotiate the terms under which the North would give up its nukes and win relief from sanctions - a goal that has eluded U.S. administrations for a quarter-century.

Trump claimed at a Cabinet meeting Thursday that denuclearization had already begun, although Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters a day earlier that he wasn't aware that North Korea had taken any steps yet toward denuclearization, and that detailed negotiations have not yet begun.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon said Friday evening that it has "indefinitely suspended" a major military exercise with South Korea, known as Freedom Guard and scheduled for August, as well as two Korean Marine exchange training exercises.

Officials had announced Monday that planning for Freedom Guard had been suspended in line with Trump's decision to halt what he called U.S. "war games" in South Korea.

A Pentagon spokeswoman, Dana W. White, said further decisions about military exercises in South Korea "in support of diplomatic negotiations" led by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will depend on North Korea "continuing to have productive negotiations in good faith."

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Latest: White House writing up rules for reporters
The Latest: White House writing up rules for reporters

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on the legal challenge to the White House's decision to strip CNN reporter Jim Acosta of his White House press credentials (all times local):

Judge: White House must return CNN
Judge: White House must return CNN's Jim Acosta's credential

A federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to immediately return the White House press credentials of CNN reporter Jim Acosta. U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Kelly, an appointee of President Donald Trump, announced his decision following a hearing in Washington. The judge said Acosta

Russia investigation
Russia investigation 'disgrace to our nation,' says Trump

US President Donald Trump on Thursday launched a fresh attack on the Russia investigation, branding it a "disgrace to our Nation" a week after he fired his attorney general, raising questions about the probe's future. The president has frequently lashed out at the probe led by special

Michael Avenatti arrested in LA on domestic violence charge
Michael Avenatti arrested in LA on domestic violence charge

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Michael Avenatti, who skyrocketed to fame as a chief critic of President Donald Trump and the lawyer for porn actress Stormy Daniels, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of domestic violence, Los Angeles police said.

Trump aide Ricardel forced out after showdown with first lady
Trump aide Ricardel forced out after showdown with first lady

Mira Ricardel, the White House deputy national security adviser, was forced out of her job on Wednesday after President Donald Trump's wife, Melania, said Ricardel did not deserve the honor of working for her husband. Ricardel "will continue to support the president as she departs the White

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.