Trump cancels military parade, says he will head to Paris




  • In World/Asia
  • 2018-08-17 14:08:34Z
  • By By Makini Brice
 

By Makini Brice

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he had canceled a planned military parade for November due to high costs and would instead visit Paris to commemorate the end of World War I, a day after the Pentagon postponed the event to at least next year.

Trump had requested a parade to honor U.S. military veterans and commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, after marveling at the Bastille Day military parade he attended in Paris last year.

But, on Thursday, a U.S. official said the cost of such an event could top $90 million, nearly three times as much as the White House had earlier estimated. The Defense Department ultimately postponed the event, originally planned for Nov. 10 in Washington.

Trump, in a pair of tweets, said he would instead celebrate the occasion in Paris on Nov. 11, the U.S Veterans Day holiday.

He also said he would attend a parade at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, but gave no date. A spokeswoman at the base was not able to immediately provide the date for the event.

Critics had blasted the planned Washington parade, questioning the lofty cost and the need for it as the Pentagon has sought to stabilize an over-stretched military.

But in Trump's tweets, the Republican president blamed local Washington officials for seeking a "windfall," and suggested they were inflating the parade's costs.

Washington, D.C. mayor Muriel Bowser, a Democrat, hit back at Trump, saying in a Twitter post that she was "the local politician who finally got thru to the reality star in the White House with the realities ($21.6M) of parades/events/demonstrations in Trump America (sad)."

"A great celebratory parade costs money, Mr Trump, and it's YOUR Pentagon that's suggesting more than $90 million. Don't blame others," Washington, D.C. Council chairman Phil Mendelson, another Democrat, also tweeted.

Republican lawmaker Scott Taylor backed the decision to cancel the parade, saying he did not think it was appropriate to hold such an event while U.S. troops were still fighting in wars overseas.

"I don't agree that it's a good idea. We're still at war right now ... We're still out there, our people are still out there around the world right now, in harm's way," Taylor said in an interview with CNN.

Military parades in the United States are rare and historically have been used to mark the end of a military conflict. In 1991, tanks and thousands of troops paraded through Washington to celebrate the end of the Gulf War.

The Elysee Palace, the official residence of French President Emmanuel Macron, had no immediate comment on Trump's planned visit.

(Reporting by Makini Brice and Susan Heavey; Additional reporting by Richard Lough in Paris; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump
Climate threat doubter is leading effort to advise Trump

The Trump administration is exploring the idea of forming a special committee to look at climate change and security risks, with the effort being coordinated by a 79-year-old physicist who rejects mainstream climate science. A memo to those federal officials asks them to direct any questions to William Happer, a member of Trump's National Security Council and a well-known critic of mainstream climate science findings.

Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds
Number of hate groups hits 20-year high amid rise in white supremacy, report finds

The nation's demographic shift has emboldened white supremacists, the Southern Poverty Law Center finds in its annual survey.

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump
Bernie Sanders Announces Presidential Run, Calls Trump 'Embarrassment'

Bernie Sanders, the independent Vermont senator who finished runner up to Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, on Tuesday announced a second White House bid. "I think the current occupant of the White House is an embarrassment to our country," Sanders said in an interview

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Asia

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.