Trump adviser Roger Stone loses bid to delay sentencing hearing




  • In US
  • 2020-02-18 16:29:02Z
  • By Reuters
Trump adviser Roger Stone loses bid to delay sentencing hearing
Trump adviser Roger Stone loses bid to delay sentencing hearing  

By Sarah N. Lynch and Jan Wolfe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Roger Stone, a longtime friend of President Donald Trump, lost his bid to delay his sentencing, a federal judge said on Tuesday.

Stone is due to be sentenced on Thursday after he was found guilty in November of seven counts of lying to Congress, obstruction and witness tampering.

A lawyer for Stone on Tuesday argued that Thursday's sentencing hearing should be postponed until after U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson rules on a request he made for a new trial.

Jackson rejected the proposed delay during a short conference call with lawyers on Tuesday, saying Stone's proposal would not be prudent and is not required by law.

The judge said the longtime Republican operative would not need to begin serving his sentence until she rules on his request for a new trial.

Stone's sentencing on Thursday is expected to draw widespread interest, after senior officials at the Justice Department last week pulled back on an earlier sentencing recommendation by career prosecutors to keep Stone's prison term within the U.S. sentencing guidelines of seven to nine years.

The intervention by Attorney General William Barr prompted all four career prosecutors who tried the case to withdraw, with one of them resigning from the department entirely.

In the new sentencing memo, the department said it viewed a sentence of between seven and nine years as excessive, but left it to the judge's discretion what prison term would be appropriate.

Since then, Trump has used Twitter to attack the four prosecutors, as well as Jackson, who previously oversaw cases involving Trump's other political allies including former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

Jackson did not comment during Tuesday's 15-minute conference call on the prosecutor withdrawals or the political furor over Stone's case.


(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch and Jan Wolfe; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump calls proposed Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower
Trump calls proposed Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower 'a symbol of hate'

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said painting Black Lives Matter on Fifth Avenue is designed in part to send a message to President Trump.

Exclusive USA TODAY poll: Biden widens his lead, but Trump keeps the edge on enthusiasm
Exclusive USA TODAY poll: Biden widens his lead, but Trump keeps the edge on enthusiasm

In a new USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll, the president falls further behind in a race where much of Biden's support comes from those opposed to Trump.

He shared photos of Trump supporters and called them racist. Some threatened to sue
He shared photos of Trump supporters and called them racist. Some threatened to sue

Daniel Gonzalez, a 17-year-old rising senior at Miami Lakes Educational Center, found an email from a lawyer in his inbox Monday afternoon. If Gonzalez didn't remove a series of posts he had made the previous day on Twitter, he could get hit with a defamation lawsuit, the letter said.

Trump Shares Video of Armed White Couple Confronting Protesters
Trump Shares Video of Armed White Couple Confronting Protesters

WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump retweeted a video Monday morning of a white man and woman brandishing a semi-automatic rifle and a handgun at peaceful Black protesters in St. Louis over the weekend, amplifying a surreal scene that embodied the racial divisions roiling the country.Trump's promotion of the St. Louis confrontation was the second time in two days that the president used his social media platforms -- which he often credits with allowing him to circumvent mainstream news outlets -- to exacerbate racial divisions as Americans have been protesting police brutality and demanding social justice reforms after the killing of George Floyd.On Sunday, Trump retweeted a video of one...

Laura Ingraham Tells Viewers to
Laura Ingraham Tells Viewers to 'Suit Up' for Battle: 'It Is Time to Do or Die'

Fox News host Laura Ingraham spoke in stark and apocalyptic terms about the coming election on Monday night, warning viewers that "more chaos is coming" and that they needed to "suit up for this battle" because it was do-or-die time.The right-wing primetime star opened up her Monday evening broadcast by sniping at "conservatives on the sideline in this battle" while the country "is under attack," taking aim at Never Trump Republicans for trying to help elect Democrats this cycle.She also blasted conservative politicians who she claimed weren't stepping up to fight back as Black Lives Matter protests rage across the country and statues and monuments are toppled."A lot of very clever people...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US