Trump administration backs off sending coronavirus patients to Alabama -governor




  • In US
  • 2020-02-24 01:34:27Z
  • By Reuters
Senator Shelby (R-AL) speaks to reporters after a vote in Washington
Senator Shelby (R-AL) speaks to reporters after a vote in Washington  

By Dan Whitcomb

(Reuters) - The Trump administration has backed off plans to quarantine patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship stricken with coronavirus at a federal facility in Alabama, the state's governor and a U.S. senator said on Sunday.

The news came as worry grew over the spread outside China of the sometimes fatal virus, with a spike in the number of cases found in South Korea, Iran and Italy. Experts were baffled over outbreaks with no clear link to China.

"I just got off the phone with the President. He told me that his administration will not be sending any victims of the Coronavirus from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Anniston, Alabama. Thank you, @POTUS, for working with us to ensure the safety of all Alabamians," Senator Richard Shelby, a Republican from the state, said on Twitter.

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey tweeted that she had thanked Trump during a separate phone call.

The White House could not immediately be reached for comment. The president departed on Sunday for a trip to India for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said on Saturday that it would house American passengers evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship who had tested positive for coronavirus at a former Army base in Anniston, Alabama.

It was unclear where those patients would be quarantined if the plan to house them in Alabama had been scrapped.

More than 630 passengers of the Diamond Princess have been confirmed as infected with coronavirus and at least three have died. The British cruise ship, which sails primarily in Southeast Asia, is quarantined near Tokyo.

The government in Seoul has put that country on high alert after the number of infections surged over 600 with six deaths. A focal point was a church in the southeastern city of Daegu, where a 61-year-old member of the congregation with no recent record of overseas travel tested positive for the virus.

In Italy, officials said a third person infected with the flu-like virus had died, while the number of cases jumped above 150 from just three before Friday.

Italian health authorities were struggling to find out how the virus started and almost a dozen towns in Lombardy and Veneto had been effectively placed under quarantine.

Iran said it had confirmed 43 cases and eight deaths, with most of the infections in the Shi'ite Muslim holy city of Qom.

The virus has killed 2,442 people in China, which has reported 76,936 cases, and has slammed the brakes on the world's second largest economy. It has spread to some 28 other countries and territories, with a death toll of around two dozen, according to a Reuters tally.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Richard Chang)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Venezuela navy vessel sinks after
Venezuela navy vessel sinks after 'ramming cruise ship'

The cruise ship's owners say the naval vessel rammed it, but Venezuela accuses the ship of "piracy".

No port in a storm: Australia tells virus-stricken cruise ships to go home
No port in a storm: Australia tells virus-stricken cruise ships to go home

Australia insisted Friday it would not let the crew of multiple virus-stricken cruise ships into the country, slapping aside suggestions it was falling short on legal and moral obligations. More than a dozen ships are believed to be off Australia's coast, carrying around 15,000 crew and some experiencing outbreaks of coronavirus. "We have issued notices to all of these ships to leave Australian waters," Australian Border Force Commissioner Michael Outram told local media Friday.

I begged my parents not to go on their Holland America cruise - now their ship is stranded at sea
I begged my parents not to go on their Holland America cruise - now their ship is stranded at sea

Brian Foran says his parents still feel healthy, despite reports that 233 passengers and workers are ill and 9 are confirmed for COVID-19.

Florida reaches deal for two cruise ships to dock, passengers to disembark
Florida reaches deal for two cruise ships to dock, passengers to disembark
  • US
  • 2020-04-02 13:43:54Z

A deal has been reached to allow two Holland America Line ships to dock in Florida and most of the 2,500 passengers on board to disembark, including foreign nationals, NBC News reported on Thursday, citing unnamed sources. The agreement would allow the cruise line's Rotterdam and Zaandam ships to dock at the Port of Everglades in Fort Lauderdale after 27 days at sea, according to NBC. The Zaandam is carrying nearly 1,050 passengers and crew, while the Rotterdam has almost 1,450 on board.

Trump says Florida will evacuate stranded cruise ships
Trump says Florida will evacuate stranded cruise ships

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that US authorities will evacuate passengers from a stranded cruise ship due to dock in Florida after being barred from several South American countries because of a coronavirus outbreak aboard. Both the cruise ship Zaandam, where dozens of people have fallen ill, and its sister ship Rotterdam are due to enter US waters early Thursday ahead of their expected docking in Fort Lauderdale. Trump said the US was "sending medical teams on board the ships" and taking people off, with foreigners sent home.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US