Transfer rumor roundup: Man Utd linked with 2 stars, Liverpool with CB




 

Like most transfer windows since the exit of Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United is being linked with approximately $7 billion worth of purchases.

[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]

It should definitely be noted that the uncertainties of the coronavirus pandemic and the financial toll it's taken on clubs may stop any number of big fee moves from meeting completion.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is one of those players who match the ambition and pedigree of United, a complete midfielder capable of controlling the pitch.

Foot Mercato says that United is back in for Milinkovic-Savic after seeing a nine-figure bid rebuffed by Lazio last summer.

The 25-year-old Serbian has been with Lazio since moving from Genk in 2015, and he was an instant hit. He has 36 goals and 26 assists in 197 appearances, but the numbers that really shine are advanced stats. This season's saw him average 1.6 interceptions, 1.3 tackles, two shots, and 1.2 key passes per game while connecting on 3.4 long balls per game.

He'll certainly want to know he's staying in the Champions League. Lazio is extremely well-positioned to qualify out of Serie A, while United sits fifth ahead of what should be a wild return to the PL fixture list.

The Sunday Express is linking United with Wolves star Diogo Jota, who did not exactly race to deny interest in joining the Red Devils.

Jota, 23, has 15 goals and six assists this season including a pair of Europa League hat tricks.

He joked that he couldn't join United because he wears the same number as fellow Portuguese star Bruno Fernandes, but added, "It's always good to see your name linked to clubs with a club of that stature but I also know that this is not the most important thing. Just look at what is happening now with this pandemic."

It's difficult to imagine Jota's price tag would be less than $40 million, and Wolves have a chance to be involved in the Champions League next season.

Liverpool has now joined Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid in being linked with Sevilla center back Diego Carlos.

The 27-year-old Brazilian played one season for Estoril in Portugal before brightening his star with Nantes in Ligue 1.

This is his first season at Sevilla, and he has not found trouble adjusting to La Liga. Carlos has two goals this season to go with 1.2 tackles, 1 interception, and a gaudy 5.1 clearances per match (WhoScored).

Transfer rumor roundup: Man Utd linked with 2 stars, Liverpool with CB originally appeared on NBCSports.com

COMMENTS

More Related News

Premier League clubs vote to resume contact training
Premier League clubs vote to resume contact training

London (AFP) - Premier League clubs voted unanimously on Wednesday to resume contact training as "Project Restart" took a huge step forwards.

Premier League clubs vote for contact training return
Premier League clubs vote for contact training return

All 20 Premier League clubs voted to return to contact training as vital step towards finishing the 2019-20 season arrives.

Mourinho does not expect to see
Mourinho does not expect to see 'crazy' transfers after virus

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has warned that the transfer market will look drastically different due to the coronavirus fallout, saying football will not be ready for "crazy numbers". Spurs bought Steven Bergwijn for £27 million ($33 million) from PSV in January, while also breaking their club record to sign Tanguy Ndombele for a reported £54 million last year. "It is normal you are going to have a different market," the 57-year-old told Sky Sports.

Lifting Premier League trophy in empty stadium would be
Lifting Premier League trophy in empty stadium would be 'strange', says Henderson

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson says playing at an empty Anfield and winning the Premier League title with no fans present would be "pretty strange". Liverpool were 25 points clear of 2019 champions Manchester City and on the verge of their first English top-flight crown for 30 years when the league was shut down by coronavirus in March. Henderson lifted the Champions League trophy in a packed stadium in Madrid last June but is preparing for a different experience this year.

Solskjaer counting on Pogba, Rashford for restart
Solskjaer counting on Pogba, Rashford for restart

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Tuesday he is confident of having Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford fit should the Premier League season restart next month. Pogba has missed the majority of the campaign with an ongoing ankle injury, while Rashford seemed set to miss the rest of the season when he suffered a double stress fracture in his back in January. United returned to training in small groups last week and preparations are expected to be ramped up further for a return to action when Premier League clubs vote on resuming contact training on Wednesday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Soccer